Bruce Ellington misses practice with pulled hamstring

Receiver questionable for matchup at Tennessee

South Carolina slotback Bruce Ellington did not practice Wednesday with a slight hamstring pull, making his status for USC’s game at Tennessee on Saturday questionable.

Coach Steve Spurrier did not speak with media after the session, but likely will comment on Ellington’s injury tonight on his weekly radio show. Receiver Alshon Jeffery said Ellington “tweaked” his hamstring, but that Ellington “should be” available to play against the Vols. Ellington appeared to be moving around well toward the end of practice when media members were allowed onto the Bluff Road practice fields.

Ellington was named Southeastern Conference co-Freshman of the Week after the Gamecocks’ 14-12 win over Mississippi State in Starkville, Miss., on Oct. 15. Against the Bulldogs, Ellington had 32 receiving yards, 25 rushing yards, 24 passing yards and a 17-yard kickoff return.

With tailback Marcus Lattimore out for the season after suffering ligament and cartilage damage in his left knee against MSU, many expected the Gamecocks to rely more on Ellington’s ability to run the ball out of the wildcat package.

In some good news for the Gamecocks, running backs coach Jay Graham confirmed that tailbacks Eric Baker (ankle) and Kenny Miles (wrist) should play on Saturday. Both have been out since USC’s 21-3 win over Vanderbilt on Sept. 24.

Gurley at practice: Former USC receiver Tori Gurley, now a member of the defending Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers’ practice squad, visited practice. While the practice squad isn’t necessarily where he wants to be, Gurley looks at his position in a positive light.

“It’s an opportunity,” Gurley said. “A lot of guys, they got sent home. But I’m still up there working and getting better. I’m just one play away.

“When the opportunity comes, I’m never going to look back.”

Gurley said he “loves it” in Green Bay, and that being around Super Bowl MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers is a privilege and that he “loves him to death.”

“It’s like surgery,” said Gurley of Rodgers’ throwing ability. “He’s one of the best doctors in the world. He gets the ball in places a defensive back can never see.”

Tennessee not personal for Jeffery: Despite his near-commitment to Tennessee, and the infamous “pumping gas” firestorm involving former UT coach Lane Kiffin that transpired after Jeffery decided to come to USC, Jeffery said Saturday’s game isn’t necessarily more personal for him than others.

“I don’t even remember that,” said Jeffery of his recruitment. “It’s just another school. That’s all I think about.”