Drake to play Colonial Life Arena Nov. 19

Discounted tickets will be offered for USC students, faculty, staff

Hip-hop artist Drake will perform at Colonial Life Arena Saturday, Nov. 19, arena officials announced this morning.

Tickets will go on sale Friday at 10 a.m., and prices will range from $29.75 to $69.75. The venue will offer a discount for students, faculty and staff that subtracts $10 from the price of any ticket, but the number of discounted tickets will be limited and available only at the arena’s box office.

“It's exciting that we're getting Drake in Columbia,” said David Cox, the arena’s marketing manager. “I know students are huge on him right now. Any time a top performer comes to Colonial Life Arena, it’s great for students and the city.”

Drake, whose 2009 rise in the hip-hop world gained unprecedented hype when he signed with Lil Wayne’s Young Money Entertainment label, is widely known for hits “Best I Ever Had,” “Over” and “Successful,” as well as several high-profile guest appearances on tracks with Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Kanye West, Eminem and Rihanna. Drake got his start in the entertainment world acting, playing Jimmy Brooks on TeenNick's “Degrassi: The Next Generation.”

Up-and-coming California rapper Kendrick Lamar, who released his third solo project, “Section.80,” in July of 2011, will open for Drake. Lamar’s most well-known single “Ignorance is Bliss” from his 2010 mixtape “O(verly) D(edicated),” led to recognition from producer Dr. Dre and subsequent appearances with The Game and Snoop Dogg.

The concert will make for a big weekend in Columbia, as country-pop superstar Taylor Swift is set to play Colonial Life Arena Friday, Nov. 18, and the Gamecocks will take on The Citadel Saturday, Nov. 19, at Williams-Brice Stadium.