Notebook: Cody Gibson's touchdown-saving tackle a "huge play"

Offensive tackle stops Tennessee cornerback from returning interception for score

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Credit Cody Gibson with the save.

After quarterback Connor Shaw threw a third quarter interception into the hands of Tennessee's Prentiss Waggner with the Gamecocks leading 7-3, the defensive back returned the ball 54 yards to the Carolina 2. Waggner would have scored to give the Volunteers a lead, but Gibson, a redshirt freshman offensive lineman, came out of nowhere to make a touchdown-saving tackle.

"That was a huge play, no question," said coach Steve Spurrier.

Moments after Gibson's tackle, defensive back D.J. Swearinger intercepted Tennessee quarterback Justin Worley's pass at the USC 2. The Gamecocks then proceeded to embark on a 20 play, 98-yard touchdown drive that lasted over 11 minutes and put the game away, Gibson said the play was validation for every time a coach has stressed to him the importance of hustling after the football and not giving up on a play.

"Unfortunately, it was an interception, but I just ran downfield," Gibson said. "I was looking for him to cutback, and when I saw him cutback I just gave it my all and ran as hard as I could and hit him. And I made the tackle."

Gibson said he was "pretty tired" after running down Waggner, but he was rewarded for his efforts. The Tallahassee, Fla., native was one of two Gamecocks to receive game balls.

Whitlock misses game with concussion: Cornerback C.C. Whitlock did not travel with the team after suffering a concussion in practice Tuesday, Spurrier said. The injury was not revealed to the media until prior to kickoff. Spurrier said he expects Whitlock to return for USC's game against Arkansas.

Ellington plays, but not in wildcat: Slotback Bruce Ellington did play Saturday after battling a slight hamstring pull during the week. But he did not see any time as USC's wildcat quarterback, a decision Spurrier said was made "since he hadn't practiced all week and we were running the ball decent" with tailback Brandon Wilds and quarterback Connor Shaw. Ellington should be 100 percent against Arkansas, Spurrier said.

Movement in the polls: Saturday's win was good enough to move the Gamecocks up four spots in both polls. USC is now No. 10 in both the Associated Press and USA Today coaches polls. The Gamecocks were No. 14 in both last week.

Rex Ryan at Neyland: New York Jets coach Rex Ryan attended Saturday's game. Ryan reportedly was on a college visit with his son. The Jets had a bye week.

Always trailing at first: The Gamecocks failed to score the first points of the game again. USC hasn't scored first in all eight games this season and 11 straight contests overall.

Records on the road: USC has now won a school-record six consecutive true road games. Saturday's victory was only the second here in school history and the sixth overall in series history. The Gamecocks have defeated Tennessee in consecutive meetings for the first time ever. The win was USC's 550th in program history.

Visitor finally gets a win: Before USC's win, the home team had won four straight in the series.

UT streak continues: Tennessee kicker Michael Palardy's 22-yard field goal in the first quarter helped the Vols avoid their first shutout since 1994. Tennessee has scored in 218 straight games.