Ryan Gosling shines in 'Ides of March'

Powerhouse cast brings talent, drama to classic political corruption tale

Under the direction of Hollywood juggernaut George Clooney, "The Ides of March" is like the anti-"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (1939), centering on the idea that nothing distorts idealism more than politics.

"The Ides of March" is a political thriller that highlights the same theme movies of this genre tiresomely offer — political corruption. However, what sells the film is the overwhelming cast of Academy Award winners and nominees, who serve as the main draw for the film.

Anyone who has read William Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" instantly knows why this movie is titled "The Ides of March." Similarities between the two, such as the allusion toward the date of Caesar's assassination and the theme of loyalty and betrayal, give the movie a bit of a Shakespearean feel.

In the movie, "Ides of March" refers to March 15, the essential day when the events in the film occur. March 15 is the date of the Ohio primary, when Gov. Mike Morris (George Clooney) hopes to claim the Democratic nomination for president. Helping him achieve this goal are Senior Campaign Manager Paul Zara (Philip Seymour Hoffman) and Junior Campaign Manager Stephen Myers (Ryan Gosling).

While the story centers upon the governor trying to win over Ohio, Gosling has the starring role in this film. Stephen is a rising star in the political world, and his talents become recognized by the opposing Democratic candidate's campaign manager, Tom Duffy (Paul Giamatti), who tries to recruit him to the opposing side.

The turning point within the story occurs when the press leaks Stephen and Tom's meeting. Stephen's friend and New York Times journalist Ida Horowicz (Marisa Tomei) threatens to publish the story unless Stephen can provide her with some information involving Paul's meeting with Sen. Thompson (Jeffrey Wright), who has been guaranteed the secretary of state position should Mike's opponent win.

If that is not enough drama, Stephen starts a sexual relationship with Molly Stearns (Evan Rachael Wood), an intern for Mike's campaign and daughter of the chairman of the Democratic National Committee. While in this relationship, Stephen discovers a dark secret involving Mike that could really hurt the campaign.

The only aspect that really weakens the film is that its underlying message of political corruption isn't exactly revelatory. Everybody knows that politics is a business where getting elected is more important than doing the right thing. But instead of just focusing on how politics is a dirty business, the story also centers on Stephen's loss of morals as his idealistic views toward doing the right thing becomes tarnished by the reality of politics.

Also, the tension doesn't really arise until halfway into the film. A strong sense of development among the characters' concerns and their relationships with each other takes up the first half of the film so the audience can really feel the emotional impact once the backstabbing begins.

The number of Oscar-nominated actors within the cast is overwhelming, but the amount of talent on display is still astounding. The five primary members of the cast — Gosling, Clooney, Hoffman, Giamatti and Tomei — each get his or her own chance to shine in the film.

Hoffman portrays the scruffy, veteran campaign manager who values loyalty above everything else. Giamatti is the scheming opponent who loses most of his humanity within his profession. Aware of Stephen's intelligence and skill in politics, Giamatti's character strives to pull him toward his side with the thought "either I have him or nobody does." Tomei is also compelling as the assertive New York Times journalist whose definition of "friend" is anyone who will give her a great story.

However, this movie is all Gosling's. As the lead character, Gosling shows the most development and is very convincing as the audience views Stephen's transformation from a wide-eyed idealist to a cynical realist.

"The Ides of March" is not one of the best political thrillers, and it probably won't be a strong candidate at the Oscars, but it's smart and supremely well-casted under Clooney's skilled direction.