'The Whistleblower' haunts, disappoints with subject matter

Sex trafficking film sheds light on true story

“The Whistleblower’s” sole purpose is to leave a bad taste in the viewer’s mouth. Or at least that’s how it seems.

Dealing with one of the most grisly subjects, human sex trafficking, “The Whistleblower” falls into the same category as “Blood Diamond” (2006) or “The Constant Gardener” (2005) — all are dramas used to promote social awareness. The difference lies in the fact that “The Whistleblower” is based on true events.

In her directorial debut, Larysa Kondracki shows promise directing a flawed film that is both hauntingly powerful and disappointing.

For a film about sex trafficking, “The Whistleblower” is fairly tame. Almost all of the story’s abuse is shown off-screen, and everything explicit is implied.

While Kondracki may have been trying to instill her film with a sort of tact or restraint, it makes “The Whistleblower” seem muted and distant. Instead of going for the proverbial “killshot,” the film dances around some of the more graphic issues.

“The Whistleblower” is about an American cop named Kathryn Bolkovac (Rachel Weisz) who signs a contract with Democra Corp (real name: DynCorp — look them up and boycott them), a company enlisted by the United Nations to maintain a semblance of peace in post-war Bosnia. Kondracki does an excellent job of creating a mood with the images shown of Bosnia, effectively capturing the dismal, hopeless feeling of a country reeling from war.

Bolkovac begins her job and is shocked by the peacekeepers’ lax standards but doesn’t think much of it until she uncovers an underground human-trafficking ring. Quickly following protocol, Bolkovac launches an investigation of the operation but is surprised when she meets resistance from her employer. The further she investigates, the more she realizes that she is uncovering a scandal of epic proportions.

“The Whistleblower” is less a story and more an examination of a woman’s courage and determination.

Weisz does a good job of portraying Bolkovac with a tough edge, but avoiding the hard-boiled female cop stereotype that is powering nearly every TNT drama these days. However, Weisz benefits enormously from a well-written and powerful third act, which really bolsters her performance and lets her shine.

The first two portions of the film seem to plod along and at times will have viewers checking their watches. The main culprit for this lethargic pace is the underwritten characters who interact with Weisz.

It’s natural tendency to spotlight the main character in a true story, but Weisz, at times, comes across overpowering.

The film is a must-see because of subject matter and the imperative nature of the story. However, the execution of “The Whistleblower,” with the exception of the ending, lacked in a few areas which weakened the emotional impact. But “The Whistleblower” does stick to its “socially conscious drama meets political thriller” plot, satisfying viewers’ needs and expectations.