Volleyball set for road matches at Alabama, Ole Miss

Gamecocks attempt to earn first conference win

South Carolina’s volleyball team has a chance to get its first SEC win this weekend when it travels to play Alabama and Ole Miss, but it will have to do so without its top player.

The Gamecocks will face two teams with similar records, but points leader Juliette Thevenin will be unable to return due to a concussion. Sophomore Kathryn Pearce is also out with a concussion, and neither player has a timetable to return at this point.

“We don’t really know what we’re going be able to put out there on the field,” said coach Scott Swanson. “But we hope that whatever we do put out there is going to be good enough to pull a win off.”

Despite having to make major changes to his lineup, Swanson said he still believes his team can get a win this weekend. He said the coaching staff expects players who haven’t been starters before to step up and make an impact.

“They might be new to a position or they might be a freshman that isn’t used to playing that much, but we need everyone to do what they can do, and do the best that they can do,” Swanson said.

Swanson said the matches this weekend are the most favorable towards his team since starting its SEC schedule.

“We match up against them a lot better than the other teams we’ve played,” Swanson said. “I think we have a better chance against Alabama than the other teams we’ve faced. Same thing with Ole Miss.”

However, Swanson said it is never an easy task to win on the road in the SEC.

“Everybody is better in their own home gym and everyone is dealing with injuries and adversities of their own, so you just never know,” Swanson said. “It’s any given day, and hopefully Friday or Sunday is our day.”

South Carolina (9-8, 0-7 SEC) started the season off strongly, but has struggled since beginning conference play. Its two opponents are in similar situations, with Alabama (9-10, 2-6) and Ole Miss (5-11, 1-7) occupying the last two places in the SEC West standings.

Swanson said the injuries combined with not winning games have put a lot of pressure on his team.

“Right now we’re not even sure who is going to be playing,” Swanson said. “We have several people hurt, and it’s just tough for us right now. We’re dealing with a lot of adversity.”

Swanson said the team is handling that adversity well, but it’s been difficult to deal with.

“They’re really young and they don’t understand why it isn’t happening for them,” Swanson said. “It just comes down to a performance level and a confidence level and trying to get better.”