Antonio Allen held out against Arkansas

Senior misses game with neck and shoulder spasms

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Spur linebacker Antonio Allen did not play in South Carolina’s 44-28 loss to Arkansas here due to muscle spasms in his neck and shoulder.

“We were hoping beyond hope,” said associate head coach for defense Ellis Johnson. “He was still getting treatment up until [Saturday] morning, but he just felt like he wouldn’t be effective.”

Allen missed several days of practice with the spasms. When team doctors cleared him of any nerve damage or disk issues, USC was hopeful he’d be able to play. But Allen decided he wasn’t capable of playing, Johnson said.

Backup Damario Jeffery, who spent time as the starter at spur last season, replaced Allen. Jeffery said he didn’t find out he would start until right before the game. Johnson said he thought Jeffery played “OK,” but Jeffery, who finished with six tackles, felt otherwise.

“Not too good,” said Jeffery when asked how he played. “Missed a couple of tackles, didn’t play fundamentally sound. Overall it wasn’t a good outing for me.”

Johnson said he didn’t know whether Allen will be able to play against Florida.

“The way he responded this week, I don’t think there’s any way to predict that,” Johnson said.

Jeffery still looking for record: If not for a penalty, Alshon Jeffery would have set the school record for receiving yards Saturday.

A 24-yard reception that would have pushed Jeffery past the late Kenny McKinley and into first place with 2,791 career receiving yards was negated by a holding call on offensive lineman Rokevious Watkins. Instead, Jeffery finished the game 14 yards shy of McKinley, hauling in three catches for 19 yards.

Jeffery, who has just 60 receiving yards in the last three games, continued to say he isn’t frustrated about his role in the offense and the ineffective pass attack. Teams aren’t covering him any differently than in the past to catalyze his receiving drought, he said, and while he’d like the record, he doesn’t preoccupy himself with it.

“Hopefully I can be the all-time leader at home,” Jeffery said. “I’m not worrying about the record. I’m just worrying about getting the win.”

Jeffery did pass Sterling Sharpe for second place in school history for receptions. Jeffery now has 170 in his career. McKinley is first with 207.

Hampton returns kickoffs: Cornerback Victor Hampton returned kicks for the first time in his career, finding mixed success.

Hampton’s first return, a 55-yarder to open the second half, set up a Gamecock touchdown. But the redshirt freshman then fumbled a return to the Razorbacks late in the game.

“I think I did well, except for the last one,” Hampton said. “I just have to get used to carrying the ball again, holding it high and tight when I get into traffic.”

USC fails to score first again: For the ninth time in as many games this season and 12th consecutive contest overall, the Gamecocks did not score first. Arkansas kicker Zach Hocker’s 44-yard field goal gave the Razorbacks an early 3-0 lead about four minutes into the game.

USC is now 8-4 overall during the streak. The Gamecocks have yielded a field goal first in seven of the games while allowing a touchdown as the opening score in the other five.

Noon kickoff for Florida game: USC’s home game against Florida on Saturday will kick off at noon and be televised on CBS, the Southeastern Conference announced Sunday.

Gamecocks drop in polls: A week after ascending to No. 10 in the Associated Press and USA Today coaches’ polls, USC fell to No. 15 in each set of rankings, marking its 11th consecutive week in both polls’ top 20.