Defensive point of emphasis: Pass defense looks to bounce back after poor performance against Arkansas

Brison Williams likely to start at safety for Holloman

The Razorbacks decimated the Gamecocks' defense, recording 299 passing yards and 435 yards of total offense en route to 44 points. The performance was statistically Carolina's worst of the season, and it marked the first time an opponent had more than 200 passing yards since USC faced Georgia in the season's second week. A concussion to safety DeVonte Holloman added injury to insult.

Injuries to key players have plagued the Gamecock defense in recent weeks, as Antonio Allen, the team leader in sacks, missed the Arkansas game due to spasms in his neck. When Carolina returns home to take on Florida this Saturday, it will focus on learning from last week's struggles, counting on inexperienced players to step up for injured veterans.

"Just get back to playing the way we're used to playing," said linebacker Shaq Wilson. "Feed of the home crowd, and we have to correct some stuff. We made some mistakes in that game and didn't make plays. We just have to get back and play football."

Freshman Brison Williams, who missed the opening weeks of the season with an injury of his own, will likely start at safety in place of Holloman, who is doubtful with a concussion. After recovering from a broken arm more quickly than anticipated, Williams has recorded seven sacks in five games so far this year.

"He has to be ready," said defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward. "He knows he's going to play, and he'll have an opportunity to play a lot. He needs to be more focused in practice, and that's something that we can coach up better than we did last week."

Ward said game experience will be the key to Williams' success in the season's final weeks.

"I think he didn't think he was going to have the opportunity to play as much as he did, and he wasn't prepared as well as he should have been, but now that he knows he's going to play, he'll be better prepared," Ward said. "We're going into the 10th game of the season, and he was out the first four or five games. It's just playing experience."

Coach Steve Spurrier said the Gamecocks have several options to take Holloman's place.

"Hopefully [Williams will] play solidly back there," Spurrier said. "Sharrod Golightly is another candidate. He's practiced a bunch back there. He's been here all year. We'll go with what we've got if DeVonte can't go."

As much as USC relies on its veterans, cornerback Stephon Gilmore said the players on the field are responsible for communicating and executing plays. He said the Gamecocks' poor performance against Arkansas was not the result of Allen's absence.

"It was just a lack of focus. It had nothing to do with Antonio — all of us just have to communicate better," Gilmore said. "We were missing [Holloman] a lot. He keeps all of us on the same page and all of us communicating. We'll miss him a lot, but I think Brison Williams can step up and play."

The Gators' offense has struggled this season since starting quarterback John Brantley was injured in Florida's matchup against Alabama. But after missing two weeks, Brantley is almost completely recovered, and he led an offensive effort that relied on the pistol formation to snap a four-game losing streak against Vanderbilt last week.

Florida also brings a threat on the ground in the form of running back Jeff Demps, who rushed for 158 yards en route to becoming SEC Offensive Player of the Week. Chris Rainey, who has rushed for more than 100 yards three times this season, missed the Gators' contest against the Commodores due to injury.

The Gamecock defense will look to return to form as one of the nation's premier pass defenses by containing big plays and maintaining its focus throughout the game.

"When they made a couple of plays, we got jittery and didn't focus on the little things of the game," Gilmore said. "I think if a team makes plays on us, we just have to focus more and make a play that can turn it around. You just have to have a short memory. If you get beat, try to learn from it and try harder next time."