Game of the Century: This thing is supposed to be fun?

According to Miles and Saban, yes

Judgment Day is nigh. The moment of reckoning has arrived. Armageddon is here.

Second-ranked Alabama will host No. 1 LSU in Tuscaloosa, Ala., Saturday night in the most anticipated regular season college football game in recent memory.

And according to Alabama coach Nick Saban, it will be... enjoyable?

"It's fun to play in games like this," Saban said. "It's probably what great competitors look forward to."

The Crimson Tide and Tigers are both undoubtedly great competitors. Both are 8-0, boasting dominant defenses, national championship-caliber leadership (Saban has two BCS titles, LSU coach Les Miles has one) and a bounty of NFL prospects on both sides of the ball. And now they will meet in a de facto national semifinal with the winner becoming the favorite to win the Southeastern Conference and national titles.

Miles said despite the tremendous hype surrounding the game — ESPN has been on both campuses all week long, a record 650 media members have been credentialed for gameday by Alabama's sports information office and the game will be broadcast in prime time on CBS — he wants his team to "play with a freedom" in the face of pressure and scrutiny.

"Read their keys and do the things they are supposed to do. At that point in time when we play, go make that play," Miles said. "For me, I have great anxiety and worry all the time until about 10 minutes before the game. At 10 minutes before the game, I feel like I have said the things I needed to say. I talk to the quarterback, the safety or the guy that I feel might need my piece of information. Then it is time to play. I enjoy that feel if you will."

Some coaches would be concerned with the emotional state of their teams given what it at stake. But not Miles, who said he can't envision a scenario where his Bayou Bengals would be too excited to play Alabama.

"I want our guys to play with emotion and passion. Frankly, I don't know how high too jacked up is," Miles said. "I'm not seeing it. I'm not seeing a time where our guys have been unable to play a thinking man's game because of excitement."

Saban said he feels that emotions could be an issue for some players, but he has little control over it.

"Well, you can give them all the instruction that you like. Just like we all have children that we give instruction to when they go out on a date, but you never know for sure whether they're going to do it or not," Saban said. "I'm sure there are some players on our team who pay very little attention, and there are other players who could get caught up in that type of thing."

That type of thing, Miles said, is natural though. The significance of the game fosters it, and Saturday's matchup is worthy of the attention.

"How wonderful it is in college football that you have two quality teams that represent two great institutions that will take their best effort to the field to decide something that is difficult, clean and pure as a contest," Miles said. "How wonderful it is for the region to be able to look and enjoy the time of celebration of hard work and team values. The school wins, the team wins and the state wins. It is a beautiful time."

A beautiful time that, when complete and no matter the score, is supposed to be fun. Miles' squad has had fun all season long, illustrated succinctly by its unique manner of running through the tunnel and onto the field prior to a game.

Miles said he's never had a team act during those moments as this one has, but he's OK with that.

"There are times as the coach that you enjoy the enthusiasm of your team," Miles said. "If you can't recognize youth, happiness and the want to play and if that doesn't make you smile, for me that is not right. We get up early as coaches and go in early and work until late.

"At some point in time it is time to play. Playing denotes something that you need to do, and at some point it needs to be fun."

Even given the pressure, hype and opponent, Saturday shouldn't be any different.