Josh Turner plays for 4,000 at Coliseum

Country artist comes home to South Carolina

USC’s country music fans came out in force Thursday night in an array of flannel, florals, plaids and cowboy boots to hear South Carolina’s own Josh Turner perform at the Carolina Coliseum.

Students were lined up outside long before the 8 p.m. show time for a chance to score wristbands that would give them access to coveted floor seats. Once those were gone, students filled the entire half of the Coliseum sectioned off for the show all the way up to the top row.

“We haven’t done a country demographic for four years,” said third-year sport and entertainment management student Jesse Fayne, a member of Carolina Productions and the emcee for the event. “Our committee thought country would be a good idea and it worked.”

Fayne added that all of the 4,500 tickets for the show had been claimed.

Turner’s artist fee was $50,000, one of the largest performer fees in Carolina Productions history. CP officials estimated 4,000 students attended the show.

Opening for Turner was Natalie Stovall, a Nashville, Tenn., native with a mass of blond hair and a knack for the violin.

Stovall’s strong voice and rock edge amped up the audience, especially at the end of the set when she and her band played a killer mashup of Led Zeppelin, Beyoncé, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Michael Jackson. Ever heard “Free Bird” on the violin? It’s intense.

Of course, audience members were still holding out for the sultry voice of the man of the night — Josh Turner. As he walked on the stage to start playing “Firecracker,” fans erupted in cheers, hoots and hollers.

The two-time Grammy nominee then segued into another crowd favorite, “Why Don’t We Just Dance” as his music video and a live feed of the show played on three large flat-screens suspended behind him.

Turner’s signature rumbling baritone seemed to have all the ladies screaming and all the guys nodding their approval. Listening to the lyrics, you found yourself wanting to be part of his world where a man takes care of his woman and knows how to love ’er right.

For all of the hopeless romantics in the audience, this struck just the right chord. For Amanda Givens, a third-year hotel, restaurant and tourism management student, Turner is without a doubt one of her favorite country singers.

“I was hooked as soon as I heard one of his most famous songs ‘Long Black Train,’” Givens said. “Most of his songs have such upbeat tones to them that when they come on the radio I can’t help but turn it up and sing along.”

Givens, along with all of the other students in attendance, was able to sing her heart out when Turner eventually began crooning “Long Black Train,” bringing in the some largest cheers of the night.

Throughout the evening, Turner was able to showcase his voice that is at the same time seductive and masculine. Even those who aren’t fans of country could appreciate the richness of his voice and his music. And he’s easy on the ears — and eyes.