Kenny Miles rushes to the occasion with unexpected workload

Tailback has surprise night to help Gamecocks beat Clemson

It's safe to say that few entered Saturday night's matchup between South Carolina and Clemson expecting to see anyone in garnet and black run the ball more than Brandon Wilds or Connor Shaw.

Those who did fall under that category were proved correct by the end of the night, thanks to a resurgent performance from tailback Kenny Miles.

After taking part in the pregame Senior Day celebration, the redshirt junior proceeded to carry the ball 21 times for 71 yards, anchoring the Gamecocks' rushing attack in their 34-13 victory of the Tigers.

"I'm glad we beat Clemson, bottom line," Miles said. "Our offensive line played well, our coaches called the right plays — I was excited."

The Lawrenceville, Ga., native began his productive outing in the second quarter. After Wilds rushed for 24 yards on seven carries in the first, Miles took the majority of reps in the following period, running the ball five times for 37 yards and catching three passes for 26 yards.

"[Wilds] seemed like he was just running into guys. He wasn't quite as elusive as we thought he could be, and Kenny deserved a shot to play," said coach Steve Spurrier. "None of us are afraid to put the next guy in there if one of them seems to be struggling a little bit. Kenny had some really nice runs there."

The second half provided similar production. After adding 9 yards to his rushing total in the third quarter, Miles capped off the night with 25 yards in the fourth, the majority of which led to Jay Wooten's 37-yard field goal on USC's first drive of the quarter.

"I just felt like today I got a little more opportunities than I usually get, and I tried to take advantage of them the best I could to help the team out," Miles said. "I didn't know I was going to get to play that much today, but my dad always told me to always be ready so you don't have to get ready. I was prepared to come out. I studied film as if I was the starter and came out ready to play if the opportunity came up."

The victory marked Miles' most productive outing since USC's 34-17 victory over Clemson in Columbia two years earlier, during which Miles rushed 115 yards on 17 carries.

"Kenny Miles had a super game. I'm really proud of Kenny, coming in there and running for a bunch of yards," Spurrier said. "Brandon just got off to a little slow start, and we felt like, let's give Kenny a shot in there. He had some good, tough runs."

While Miles isn't expected to return to the program in 2012, due to his participation in Senior Day Saturday night, Spurrier said his performance against the Tigers may change the decision-making process.

"I said to him, 'You may go through Senior Day twice,' and he sort of smiled," Spurrier said.