Kratch: The good soldier is rewarded

Alshon Jeffery finally finds end zone after weeks of selfless play

It was a play that reminded the world just how good Alshon Jeffery is.

The jump ball pass. The back corner of the end zone. The one-handed catch. The raucous approval of the crowd. It was vintage Jeffery. And we must say vintage, because it had been a long while since the kid from St. Matthews had done something like he did Saturday when Connor Shaw hit him for a beautiful 32-yard touchdown strike.

South Carolina has continued to win — now 9-2 and the No. 14 team in the nation headed into Saturday's somewhat dampened but nonetheless anticipated showdown with 18th-ranked Clemson — despite all the turmoil that has come its way because the Gamecocks have adjusted at each turn, mostly on offense. But those adjustments have had a drastic effect on Jeffery and his production.

The All-American was already the focal point of opposing defenses and having a heck of a time getting open on a regular basis. Then due to attrition and injuries, USC was forced to all but abandon its passing game and become a run-first attack. The transition to 3 yards and a cloud of dust made Jeffery more or less a 6-foot-4 decoy. Coming into Saturday, he had eight catches for 53 yards and no scores in the last three games.

That's almost assuredly not what Jeffery had in mind heading into his junior season. Given that, it would be understandable, and maybe even reasonable, for him to be frustrated by his reduced role. But ask him, and he'll tell you he is anything but.

"I'm happy. Y'all may think I'm frustrated, but I'm happy," Jeffery said. "As long as we're winning, I'm cool with that."

He must be, because the guy who threw him the ball Saturday, and maybe more importantly hasn't been able to throw it to him lately for a myriad of reasons, said the same.

"He puts the team in front of him," Shaw said. "He knows the defense has schemed him very well this season. Obviously he plays receiver to catch the ball, but he hasn't been frustrated. He's had a very positive attitude."

Of all the reasons why USC has continued to be successful, the way Jeffery has handled himself may be one of the biggest. He hasn't rocked the boat or checked out on his teammates. He hasn't cared who scored the touchdowns, he said, as long as they have been scored. It has been about the team for him.

So that's likely why, after Jeffery broke through Saturday and returned to the end zone, his teammates sprinted down the field to meet him and congratulate him. Jeffery insisted the score wasn't a relief or a cathartic moment. And maybe it wasn't. But it was clearly a moment when his teammates felt the need to show him appreciation. The fans inside of Williams-Brice Stadium did the same, chanting "One more year! One more year!" after the play.

Jeffery will be eligible for the NFL Draft after the season. It has long been expected he will forego his final season of eligibility and head to the next level. Some fans have expressed hope a disappointing year for him statistically might persuade him to stay at USC. The chants echoed that sentiment. But the answer, or more specifically non-answer, Jeffery gave when asked about the chants was telling.

"Yeah, I heard that," he replied. Did he have any thoughts on the chants?

"No, I don't have any thoughts on that."

Bet on Jeffery's final game at Williams-Brice Stadium being played in five days. But that's not what should be the focus in the meantime. Nor should what Jeffery hasn't been able to do this fall.

This hasn't been the season so many predicted for him, but he hasn't made it worse. Jeffery has held his head high and put his team's success over his own. Moments like Saturday's are now few and far between, but in their absence the wins are rolling in. And that's all Jeffery cares about. So it's understandable why Shaw and the other Gamecocks sprinted down the field to congratulate him after the touchdown. The good soldier was finally being rewarded.