Lady Gamecocks open season at Illinois

Women's basketball to face Illini

After a dominant showing in its only exhibition game of the season, South Carolina will open regular-season play against the Fighting Illini on Friday in Champaign, Ill.

USC beat Limestone 84-53 last Friday at Colonial Life Arena, giving four freshmen experience in their first college game and exposing a few defensive weaknesses, which the Gamecocks have worked to correct this week.

"I think we're prepared," said coach Dawn Staley. "I think we stepped it up after seeing a few things that were exposed in our exhibition game from a defensive standpoint. Hopefully we can go to Illinois and steal a win on the road."

Despite the number of young players on the team, Staley said the upperclassmen know what to expect and can help guide their new teammates.

"I think it will probably be an eye-opener for some of our newcomers, but we have enough in the tank that's been around the block to handle an adverse situation," Staley said. "If we can come out with the win, I think it will help our youngsters, number one. Number two, it's always good to get a win on the road."

The Illini are led by junior Karisma Penn, who led her team with 15 points against the Gamecocks last year. USC won that matchup 61-48 for its first victory of the season.

"[Penn is] a double-double waiting to happen," Staley said. "She's always looking for opportunities to create mismatches. Our post players really have a challenge ahead of them."

In spite of the challenge Penn poses, the Gamecocks will not start freshman center Elem Ibiam. At 6 feet 3 inches, Ibiam will give USC a much-needed post presence off the bench.

"At this point, we're building confidence. I don't think she's ready to start a basketball game," Staley said. "She will definitely play, but she'll have time to look and see how we're playing, Penn in particular, and some of their other post players. When she gets out there, she'll have a picture of what she needs to do to be successful."

In preseason polls, coaches picked USC to finish seventh in the SEC, while media members picked the Gamecocks to finish eighth. For some players, such a low standard provides incentive to exceed expectations.

"We talk about it every day," said Markeshia Grant, who led the Gamecocks in scoring with 16 points in Friday's exhibition. "It's emphasized that they picked us to finish seventh, but last year we finished fifth. It motivates us to work hard each day to prove people wrong."

But Staley said the Gamecocks' goal is to make the NCAA Tournament, regardless of anyone's preseason expectations.

"We're always motivated," Staley said. "I don't think we need a preseason poll that says where people think we're going to finish to be motivated. The fact that we haven't been to an NCAA tournament is motivation enough. Certainly the people who voted have their opinion, and we have our opinion. They've been wrong the past couple of years, so we'll hope that holds true to form."