Notebook: Bruce Ellington coy about future

But beyond that is unknown. Ellington said he is leaning toward only playing one sport next year but is as of now undecided. His football coach feels he can do both, though.

"[Ellington] was smiling in the locker room," coach Steve Spurrier said. "I think Bruce enjoys playing both sports. I really think he can play both. I know it may take a toll on him a bit, but I told him after the game, 'You're free to go [to the basketball team] tomorrow.' I know he hasn't practiced basketball. It will take a while to get his hands used to that ball, but after a week or two I think he'll be back in basketball form."

Ellington caught the first touchdown pass of his career in the first quarter of Saturday's 34-13 win over Clemson on a 49-yard pass from quarterback Connor Shaw.

"The touchdown was a heck of a play," Spurrier said. "We had a drag route with the tight end and another guy over the middle, and just in case they didn't have anyone deep, Bruce was going deep. Connor stepped up, let it go and hit him on the dead run. That might have been one of our prettiest plays all year."

In addition to wide receiver, the redshirt freshman returned kicks and played kick quarterback out of the wildcat formation for the Gamecocks. He is second on the team to Marcus Lattimore in all-purpose yards.

Despite his memorable outing against Clemson, Ellington refused to answer questions about whether he plans to return to the football team next season.

"It's the future," Ellington said. "This game doesn't affect my decision. I don't know what the future holds, but I'm just going to pray and see what God has for me."

Shaw said that although he does not know what Ellington will ultimately decide, he will be a welcome addition to next year's Gamecock squad.

"It's his decision," Shaw said. "I'm grateful for him coming out this year. I think he's helped us tremendously. It would be nice to have him back next year."

No change in polls: Despite the win, the Gamecocks did not move in either the Associated Press or USA Today Coaches' polls.

USC is still No. 14 in the AP poll and 13 in the Coaches' Poll.

Nonconference streak extended: With the win, USC has now won 12 straight regular nonconference games dating back to the Gamecocks' last loss to Clemson in 2008.