Taylor Swift steals Columbia's heart with high-energy performance

Country star plays to sold-out crowd at Colonial Life Arena

A sold-out crowd filled with blond, barrel-rolled curls and sequined mini frocks lit up the Colonial Life Arena with glow sticks, twinkle light tutus and shimmering puffy paint signs Friday night for Taylor Swift's "Speak Now" tour stop.

Swift stole the hearts of a crowd of 4- to 40-year-olds with a two-and-a-half hour set of her teenage love tracks, only adding to her fairy tale–themed performance with a surprise duet of Darius Rucker's "Alright" with the Charleston-born Hootie & the Blowfish star.

The 13,000 fans in the arena held their heart-shaped hands above their heads — a symbol Swift has coined in concert — timing "We love you, Taylor" shout-outs in between songs and rushing the guardrails for the starlet's floor-circling, mid-song meet-and-greet.

Charleston's Needtobreathe opened for what Swift said was her 98th stop on the "Speak Now" tour, putting on a powerful Kings of Leon–esque performance, taking the stage with spotlights in-hand for their set-opener "Keep Your Eyes Open."

Lead singer Bear Rinehart — in a home-state show — was quite simply real in his set and conversation.

Wearing a black leather jacket and skinny jeans, he introduced his brother and guitarist Bo Rinehart — who extended the hipster fashion with his toggle sweater and skinnies — during a set that included "Something Beautiful," "Devil's Been Talkin'" and "Let Us Love."

Rinehart said, "South Carolina, I feel like dancing all night long," before launching into "Girl Named Tennessee," thanking the audience for making the band's latest album "The Reckoning" their first in the top 10 and adding, "I probably went to school with half of y'all."

The sold-out arena was a sight in itself. There was an unreal energy, and the audience gave several faces to Swift's song "Chaperone Dad," which she unveiled in August on an Australian talk show.

Little girls twirled their sequined dresses — which matched Swift's opening gold-flecked outfit — and added to the dramatics of the elaborate "Romeo and Juliet" sets with pink light-up cowboy boots, bedazzled hats and faces painted with hearts and glitter.

The blond-haired beauty took the stage with her guitar and 13-stamped hand to the message of "Speak Now" — a call to recognize your feelings and not let a moment pass you by — before overtaking the fragile and completely consumed audience with "Story of Us."

Swift's second pick, "Mine," sparked a sea of hearts held high above the crowd, and although the 21-year-old's lips weren't necessarily in sync with the undeniable country pop hits, it didn't matter. Her slightly vain but forgivable silent gazes across the audience and Willow Smith hair flips had her little fans — and their moms — on the verge of a star-studded breakdown.

The famed songwriter explained her angst-fueled love tracks with, "That's when we need music the most — when we're falling in love or losing it," rolling through "Our Song," "Enchanted" and "Back to December" with fitting, but disjointed on-stage setups.

After her opening, a newsboy tap dancer — that really is the best description — took the stage, cranking a lever before Swift popped up through the stage in a cream-colored lace dress and banjo in tow. Swift took to the piano in a long, flowing gown for "Back to December" — which turned into an "Apologize" by OneRepublic mashup — and changed into a bright red sequined mini dress for an angry "Better Than Revenge."

There were three Liberty Bells — which Swift repeatedly hit like a gong — complete with acrobatics, an elaborate wedding scene for "Speak Now" and a slowed-down mini set performed in the center of the floor under a "snow-covered" tree.

But the real Southern crowd shined through with Swift's surprise performance of "Alright" with Darius Rucker. The Hootie & the Blowfish front man ran on stage in jeans, a T-shirt and a baseball cap, bringing the entire audience, at first glimpse, to its feet. The duo sang the Rucker favorite in-sync, standing together midstage for the send off.

Swift took to center stage, on a pillow-covered couch for a more acoustic rendition — backed by violinists, as she was for most of the show — of songs like "Ours."

But it all led up to Swift's closing "Love Story," and the songstress' arena-spanning serenade on a floating balcony. Silver and gold confetti showered the audience as the leading lady, her band and dancers threw guitar picks and kisses at the thousands of awe-struck fans, some still enchanted by the ending performance and others lost after 11 p.m., long asleep on their dads' laps.

It was a show built on Swift's signature lyrics — full of love and heartbreak — and brought together one of Colonial Life's best crowds. Swift sold it out. And the starlet — who filled the night with odes to South Carolina and Charleston's charm — is surely invited back for another one of her on-stage fairy tales.