The Mix Tape: Five female vocalists we're thinking about this week

Adele, Florence Welch, Kreayshawn add some soul, spunk to their genres

Adele

Adele has taken over the hearts of girls — and boys — across the world with her emotionally-charged love songs that take a straight hit to the soul with their spanning, yet personal lyrics. At just 23 years old, the talented songstress has made a career off a relationship-gone-bad with strikingly bitter words that find a perfect harmony in their beautiful and eloquent delivery. Her two albums “19” and “21” take fans on a journey through the innocent conception and chilling bite of lost love. “Chasing Pavements” and “Hometown Glory,” as well as Adele’s cover of Bob Dylan’s “Make You Feel My Love” are the stand-outs on the 2008 album, while the wildly popular “Someone Like You,” “Turning Tables” are just a few of the greats from the latter. To download Adele’s albums, visit her website at www.adele.tv.

Florence Welch

Florence Welch, the red-headed flower child of Florence + the Machine, debuted with 2009’s “Lungs.” Songs like “Dog Days Are Over” and “Cosmic Love” stamped the London-born singer’s soulful and eclectic style on the scene and afforded Welch an almost immediate drum of support. Florence + the Machine is back on the charts with their latest, “Ceremonials,” which was released Monday. Bringing elements of classical music into her established indie pop sound, Welch has yet to disappoint. “Cermonials’” first single, “What the Water Gave Me” plays around with a religious undertone in the lyrics, much like many of the songs on “Lungs,” and stays chill with a slow back-clap, establishing a certain mood that Welch has so perfectly created in her music.

Kreayshawn

Kreayshawn is controversy. The California rapper, who has hit the airwaves with her single “Gucci Gucci,” offends with her racially controversial and all-around explicit lyrics, but at the end of the song, she’s just too catchy. “Gucci Gucci” raps like: “B**** you ain’t no Barbie, I see you work at Arby’s / Number 2, super-sized, hurry up I’m starving” pretty perfectly sum-up the Oakland girl’s style. She’s tatted-up and sports big eyeliner and even bigger glasses and, really, she’s just cool. Building her career off mix tapes and collaborations, Kreayshawn performs in the “White Girl Mob,” and will be featured on the upcoming single “Keep It Craccin’” with Snoop Dogg and “V-Nasty.” To get a better look into Kreayshawn’s unmatchable flair, follow her on Twitter @KREAYSHAWN.

Feist

Canadian singer Feist has built her career around hit track “1234” of 2007’s “The Reminder.” The simple song with simple lyrics found wide-spanning success, garnering support for Feist as a break-out artist. Feist’s latest album “Metals,” which dropped Oct. 4, continues on the free spirit’s indie track, refusing to delve too deeply into the mainstream pop world. The album’s first single “How Come You Never Go There” is slow and eerie in its own beautiful way, repeating the questions “How come you never go there?” and “How come I’m so alone there?” Feist speaks to listeners, offering a chilled-out beat and effortless flow to her simple yet telling lyrics. To listen to the singer’s albums or find out more about Feist, visit www.listentofeist.com.

Grace Potter

Grace Potter, from the Vermont-based folk rock band Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, has a career ahead of her that’s been a long time in the making. The Nocturnals’ first independently-released album “Nothing But Water” dropped in 2005, but it wasn’t until last year with singles “Tiny Light” and “Paris (Ooh La La)” that Potter found real-time fame. The blonde bombshell has completely embodied the part of lead rocker with a certain spunk, straight-across bangs and sequined mini frocks that only add to the blues-driven crooner’s image. The band’s self-titled 2010 album houses all of the most popular Potter singles, and the singer also appears on Kenny Chesney’s single “You and Tequila.”