USC crowns Homecoming King, Queen

Students perform in Carolina Coliseum for chance at honor

Matthew Shannon and Christina Galardi were crowned Homecoming King and Queen,  and Ned Durrett and Kizer Crum were crowned Homecoming Prince and Princess Tuesday night at an event that featured, among other novelties, performances of “Sandstorm” on both violin and piano.

The 2011 Homecoming Showcase in the Carolina Coliseum featured nine contestants vying for the crowns and tiaras. There was a traditional formal wear and interview portion, but the performances were the real draw.

Crum, representing Omega Phi Alpha national service sorority, played “Sandstorm,” the “Pirates of the Caribbean” theme and a pizzicato version of “Seven Nation Army” on her violin.
Phi Kappa Sigma Fraternity’s Matt Orr and friends re-enacted the famous “More Cowbell” “Saturday Night Live” skit that originally starred Will Ferrell and Christopher Walken.

Arianna Lacerte of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority led a group dance routine to Britney Spears tunes. Shannon, of Phi Sigma Kappa Fraternity, followed by doing the tango with his partner to the “Mission: Impossible” theme.  

Lauren Miyares of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority brought the night back to its classical beginnings with a piano recital including “The Great Smoky Mountains” and, again, "Sandstorm.”

Molly Stanton of Garnet Circle Student Alumni Council had the most elaborate skit, which featured lead-ins by a mock newscast and three dance routines, including one with someone dressed up as “The Situation” from MTV’s “Jersey Shore.”  

Durrett, representing USC Ambassadors and Student Government, rocked out with his band, and ended up winning the award for best talent. He passed the microphone to Galardi, of Carolina Service Council, who finished out with a flawless clarinet solo.

Oh, and somewhere in between all that Zack King of Beta Theta Pi tackled some friends dressed as stereotypical redneck Florida Gator fans before singing the alma mater.

Once the performances and interviews were through, students texted in their votes and judges deliberated. Many students took the opportunity to leave.

The remaining students were serenaded by SoundCheck, USC’s male a capella group, until the night’s hosts, former Homecoming King and Queen Jackie Parnell and Emily Berger, took the stage with Miss South Carolina USA 2011 Courtney Turner to announce the Homecoming Court.

“The honor to represent 20,000 undergraduates is tremendous,” Shannon, a fourth-year psychology student, said after being crowned King.

Galardi said she was exhilarated to represent Carolina Service Council as Homecoming Queen.

“To my knowledge, we’ve never had anyone in Homecoming Court representing our organization,” Galardi said.