Volleyball prepares to face Arkansas, LSU

USC looks to build on recent win over Alabama

There has been a different vibe at volleyball practice this week as South Carolina prepares for a pair of SEC road matchups this weekend. Coach Scott Swanson said one such difference has been an increase in the confidence of his team since defeating Alabama 3-0 Sunday afternoon.

“The mentality changed,” Swanson said. “It was very evident that we were going after it from the service line, and we were digging out better because of that.”

The Gamecocks (12-13, 3-12 SEC) hope to maintain this mentality when they travel to Arkansas (17-9, 9-6) Friday and LSU (17-8, 10-5) Sunday.

Swanson said the change he first noticed was that his players didn’t seem to be playing under as much pressure as they have been in other games.

“I think they were more loose and relaxed and were able to give their best and see what happened, whereas before I think we put a lot of self-imposed pressure on ourselves to not make errors,” Swanson said. “We sometimes played not to lose and that definitely had an effect on how we performed.”

Swanson said in addition to playing the top two teams from the Western division, playing in larger arenas this weekend will be a struggle.

“It’s still going to be a huge challenge to go play on the road. We haven’t been all that successful on the road. Part of that is because we’re playing in different-sized arenas than we’re used to here.”

Swanson said the court size makes a significant impact on passing and serving. In a bigger gym, serves float differently and passing becomes more difficult. LSU and Arkansas both play in basketball arenas, and LSU’s is the largest volleyball facility in the SEC.

Sunday’s match will feature two standouts from last weekend’s action. LSU outside hitter Helen Boyle was named SEC Freshman of the Week after posting a career-high 18 kills against Auburn. Meanwhile, South Carolina’s Paige Wheeler was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Week. She collected 35 digs in two matches last weekend.

Swanson said Wheeler has stepped up to the challenge this season after being moved to the libero position, a role she was not very familiar with.

“I’m very proud of [Wheeler] for her performance and her ability to learn and improve throughout the year,” Swanson said. “She’s played middleback most of her career, so now she has less time to react and has more to read.”

Swanson said he has added an additional responsibility to Wheeler’s job. During play, she tells her teammates on the floor where the other team’s blockers are moving and what’s going on.

“She’s grown into that role and it’s really helped,” Swanson said. “She continues to get better as a passer, server and defender.”

Swanson said he wants to see the Gamecocks play with the same attitude they did against Alabama, regardless of the score.

“Arkansas and LSU are more experienced and they’re doing some things at a little higher level than we have been,” Swanson said, “but I feel like we have a better shot at an upset this weekend because we have another win under our belt and we’re more confident for sure.”