Kratch: The end has arrived

Sports Editor says goodbye

A wise person once said that if things didn't end badly, they'd never end.

I suppose there's some truth to that, but this ending isn't bad at all. It's actually pretty good.

After three and a half unbelievable years, my time at The Daily Gamecock is coming to a close. You always know the time will come when you graduate and move on from USC, but until it actually happens, you never really think about what it will be like.

But here we are. I'll keep this short, because I've droned on plenty of times in this space. I'm not deluded enough to think anyone wants to read some philosophical waxing from me either.

A huge thank you to everyone I've worked with at the paper, past and present. You guys were, and are, the best. It takes a tremendous group of special people to put out a paper five days a week, and we've been fortunate to have said tremendous group my entire time here. The same goes for my friends who don't work on the paper, but have been just as supportive.

Also, I can't express my gratitude enough for all of the friends who have shared the Gamecock beat with me for the last three years, as well as the athletics media relations staff. I've been blessed to meet so many tremendous journalists and professionals who have not only taught me a great deal, but put up with a dumb kid from New Jersey and treated him like a peer.

Last, if not for the coaches and student-athletes, there wouldn't be any use for me. So a big thanks to them for being available, open and honest to the media the vast majority of the time. And to you, the reader, for picking us up, reading and, most important, caring.

Since I've never been bashful about making predictions, here are a few for the road:

USC will win the SEC East again next season.

Dawn Staley will have her Lady Gamecocks in the Women's Final Four within
five years.

Until USC doesn't make the College World Series, I'll say it will.

Michael Roth may have a statue on campus someday.

And with that, I'll end it. It's been fun. As Steve Spurrier would say, "All right, see ya next time."