Spurrier praises USC's 2011 performance

Gamecocks await postseason destination

South Carolina won’t be playing for a chance to become SEC champion this Saturday in Atlanta, but despite the team falling short of defending its Eastern division title, coach Steve Spurrier said Wednesday there’s plenty to take away from the 2011 season.

“We’d love to be playing in SEC title, but now we get to enjoy beating these teams down the stretch a little bit longer,” Spurrier said on his weekly call-in show on 107.5 The Game. “After getting our tails whipped by Auburn last year (in the SEC Championship) we sort of forgot about all that. We’re proud of what our guys have done.

“I think the best accomplishment is going 8-0 against Georgia, Tennessee, Florida and Clemson the past two seasons,” Spurrier said. “We were 6-14 combined against those guys since I’d been here before. We were competitive, but now we’ve gotten to where we can win those close games.”

Spurrier said much of Carolina’s success this season can be credited to the character and leadership of its players on and off the field. He said he hopes that mindset will continue to make a difference as the Gamecocks begin preparing for their bowl matchup.

“Travian Robertson, Melvin Ingram, Terrence Campbell — all these guys have been very good leaders,” Spurrier said. “Alshon Jeffery’s been great too. Even though the ball hasn’t been his way as much as we’d hoped, he’s been a great team guy.

“We had some crap going on (before last year’s bowl game). I don’t think this team has that. We try to instill discipline, but it’s up to the guys. Every team’s different. We coach our butts off to get our guys to play the best they can. Some years it works out better when you have quality players like we have now.”

The Head Ball Coach continued to praise his team’s performance in last weekend’s victory over Clemson, singling out the defense’s performance in particular for shutting down the Tigers’ high-powered offense.

“The first eight games of the year those guys were pretty damn good,” Spurrier said. “Our guys play better defense in the SEC, and we’re right behind LSU and Alabama in defense right now. We’re not like Maryland or Wake Forest or some of those guys in the ACC; now that’s not to knock them. [Clemson] was capable of playing a lot better but they didn’t have a great game, and we had a great game.”

Standing out in the victory was the continued growth of Connor Shaw, who eclipsed 100 yards rushing for the first time this season and passed for three touchdowns for the second straight week.

“He’s a quality player and hasn’t had any real terrible plays,” Spurrier said. “That gives you a chance to win when your quarterback can keep you in there. Connor’s a good passer, he’s just got to get the ball out quicker at times. When he starts doing that, he can become a Heisman Trophy candidate.”

The Gamecocks face several injuries as they prepare for the postseason, with Jeffery and Campbell standing out on the list, but Spurrier said none are expected to miss the bowl game.

“Alshon was blocking a guy and hit the guy’s facemask. They did a simple little surgery where they insert a plate and within two or three weeks he should be OK,” Spurrier said. “(Guards) Campbell, Ronald Patrick and A.J. Cann all had a boot on. Terrence fractured a small bone in his leg, Ronald had a knee sprain and A.J. had something also. They should be all be fine.”

Bowl reveal coming Sunday: USC announced Wednesday that a press conference with Spurrier will be held Sunday at 7 p.m. to reveal USC’s bowl destination. The 10-2 Gamecocks are considered to be in the running for three bowl games: the Capital One Bowl in Orlando, Cotton Bowl in Arlington, Texas, or the Outback Bowl in Tampa.

The Capital One and Outback Bowls are scheduled for Jan. 2, while the Cotton Bowl will be played Jan. 6. Spurrier has said he has no preference.

“This bowl game is probably the most important since I’ve been here since we can win 11 games. Whichever one we go to is fine with me. We’re gonna try like heck to win this game,” Spurrier said. “When you go 10-2 you’re going to get a quality opponent. We’ve got a lot to play for and we’re looking forward to it.”

Chisolm signs with Panthers: Former USC offensive lineman Garrett Chisolm is now a Carolina Panther.

The Charleston native signed a free agent contract with the NFL franchise Wednesday according to the Charlotte Observer. The team confirmed the signing on its official Twitter account, stating that Chisolm will be a member of the practice squad.

Chisolm, a former walk-on, was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Miami Dolphins and went through training camp with the team before being cut. Chisolm then landed on the Dolphins’ practice squad, but was cut from that as well.