BREAKING: Two of four victims in Wednesday morning wreck were USC students

Third victim a former student, fourth was unaffiliated with the university

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts identified the victims as Kelsey “Kel” Harris, a fourth-year economics student; Brian McGrath, a third-year history student; Billings (“Billy”) Fuess IV, a former student who attended USC last semester but was not currently enrolled; and Melinda Pipp who, according to USC spokesman Wes Hickman, was not associated with the university.

All four died from “multiple trauma” resulting from the accident, and autopsies showed all of the victims were dead prior to the fire that engulfed the vehicle, according to a release from Watts.

Wednesday was Harris’ 23rd birthday, according to the release. The four victims were seen after midnight leaving the Wild Hare Sports Café, where Pipp worked. They were seen again around 3:30 a.m. leaving Uncle Fester’s sports bar on Devine Street, the release said.

Around 5 a.m. Wednesday, McGrath, who was driving the group in his gray Dodge Charger, lost control of the vehicle and collided with the Farm Bureau Insurance building near the intersection of George Rogers Blvd. and Shop Road.

According to Watts, toxicology reports are not yet complete but should be available in the next few weeks. Those results will show if alcohol contributed to the crash along with high speed, according to Watts.

McGrath and Fuess were 22 years old, and Pipp was 24. McGrath lived at Carolina Walk at the intersection of George Rogers Blvd. and Bluff Road. Harris and Pipp were roommates living on the 2900 block of Bratton Street in the Melrose Heights neighborhood. McGrath and Fuess were high school friends, the report said.

USC President Harris Pastides sent his condolences to the USC community in an email and offered free counseling through Student Health Services for anyone who needs to them. For counseling, call 803-777-5223.

“I know that in spite of our grief, we as a university will come together to help each other through this extraordinarily difficult period,” Pastides said in the release.

A memorial for Billy Fuess IV will be held in Columbia Saturday at 5 p.m. at the Dunbar Funeral Home at 4219 Hard Scrabble Road. Services for Brian McGrath will be held Saturday in Trumbull, Conn., from 2 to 4 p.m. and from  6 to 8 p.m. Services for Kelsey Harris and Melinda Pipp have not yet been announced.