Golden Globe nominees take stage Sunday

Award show pits favorite film, television stars for top nods

The 69th annual Golden Globe awards will be airing Jan. 15 on NBC. Hosted again by English actor Ricky Gervais, who garnered controversy last year for his brash and sometimes churlish shtick, the show is a great predictor of the Academy Awards, and is the first major film and television awards show of the season. Certain to be filled with glamorous attire, victories, letdowns and steals, the Golden Globes will be a night of pure entertainment. With so many competitive film, television shows and actors, we’ve picked our winners, should-be-winners and the ones who got cheated with no nomination at all for three of the biggest awards of the night.

Best Picture: Drama

Nominees:
“The Descendants”
“The Help”
“Hugo”
“The Ides of March”
“Moneyball”
“War Horse”

Who Will Win: “The Descendants”
The riveting family drama about a father’s dysfunctional relationship with his two daughters will without a doubt take the biggest prize of the night. Spearheaded by two poignant performances by George Clooney and Shailene Woodley and supreme direction by Alexander Payne, the film’s heart is what will seal the deal.

Who Should Win: “The Descendants”
The film is a knockout. As a whole the picture succeeds in almost every category. The other films nominated will get their recognition in other categories; Viola Davis will win Best Actress in a Drama for her excellent performance in “The Help,” and Brad Pitt has found victories for his performance in “Moneyball” in smaller awards shows like the New York and Boston Film Critics Awards shows. He is a frontrunner for Best Actor at the Globes as well.

Who Got Cheated: “Contagion”
The riveting health thriller made audiences nationwide terrified to touch any surface. With a plot that seared into the souls of any germaphobes and great performances from Matt Damon and Kate Winslet, this film should have been honored with a nomination at the least.

Best Actress: Comedy or Musical

Nominees:
Jodie Foster, “Carnage”
Charlize Theron, “Young Adult”
Kristin Wiig, “Bridesmaids”
Michelle Williams, “My Week with Marilyn”
Kate Winslet, “Carnage”

Who Will Win: Kristin Wiig
Undoubtedly the most laugh-out-loud film of the year, Wiig’s spacey and erratic performance in “Bridesmaids” will guarantee her this win. When an actress crashes into a giant cookie and verbally slanders a flight attendant in the same film, all bets are off. Wiig, this prize goes to you.

Who Should Win: Charlize Theron
This indie sleeper flew under the radar during the winter film season. However, Theron’s palpable performance as a dysfunctional author who tries to win back her high school sweetheart is anything but subtle. Theron captures the inner angst of a troubled woman who cannot seem to get out of high school, and she does so with dark wit and many “she did not just say that” moments. However, it is Wiig’s dynamic performance that will take the crown.

Who Got Cheated: Emma Stone, “Crazy, Stupid, Love”
The 2011 breakout star gave a demure and witty performance in what perhaps was the best romantic comedy of 2011. Stone’s chemistry with her co-star Ryan Gosling and her ability to shine effortlessly on screen should have garnered a nod from the Globes.

Best TV Series: Comedy

Nominees:
“Enlightened”
“Episodes”
“Glee”
“Modern Family”
“New Girl”

Who Will Win: “Modern Family”
The television powerhouse will most likely take the prize and continue its winning streak. Even in its third season, the show that chronicles the stories of different families is still as hilarious as ever. All shows humbly bow to the current ringleader of small-screen laughs.

Who Should Win: “New Girl”
Since the show is in its infancy, it will most likely not take home this prize. However, no show had more quotable lines and laugh-out-loud moments this season than “New Girl.” Led by a quirky characterization by the adorable Zooey Deschanel, the comedy was the freshest of the season — but a little too fresh for the Hollywood Foreign Press’s taste. Fear not, though; Deschanel will most likely be walking home with the Best Actress in a Television Comedy award.

Who Got Cheated: “30 Rock”
Although recognized with performances nominations for Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin, “30 Rock” still deserves the highest honor in comedy television. “30 Rock” has managed to seamlessly stay funny and quick-witted from season to season. If not this year, “30 Rock” deserves the supreme nod by the time the curtain closes on the plaza.