Letter to the Editor: Columbia enjoys strong tourism

It's upsetting and very disheartening to read editorials that go against everything my team and I have worked on for so many years. Tasked with promoting the entire Columbia region, as well as being the central hub for conference, event, restaurant and entertainment information for visitors and locals alike, we strive on a daily basis to do as much as we can to connect individuals with the happenings taking place throughout their city. Some of the events may focus on families, while other focus on business-oriented conferences, but nevertheless, it's valuable information about various events taking place right here in Columbia. Just last year alone, Columbia played host to hundreds of events, festivals, meetings and conferences including the World Beer Festival, The Nature Conservancy, South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, WNOK's BridalShow, South Carolina Diabetes Advisory Council, Winston's Wish Foundation, Miss South Carolina Scholarship Organization, The Palmetto Freedom Forum (with many presidential candidates), AME Church National Conference (with President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf of Liberia), Social Crush and many more. This list barely skims the surface of the diverse events that have taken place here in Columbia over the last year. Many of these events sought out proactive University of South Carolina students to intern or volunteer and allowed them the opportunity to gain beneficial experience for their future career choices.

While reading this editorial, and now in writing this response, a notable and very fitting quote started playing over and over in my head, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." There is outstanding leadership throughout the community that is willing to do everything it can to make this city the very best it can be. The only thing hindering that progression are naysayers who would rather stay behind their computers than take a step outside and see how far we have come, how much we are doing and what a promising future this capital city has.

My team and I have chosen to be part of the solution. We encourage you and your fellow student body to follow suit.

— Ric Luber and the Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports and Tourism team