Tin Roof kicks off 'stache fundraiser

Four week long event raises money for Safe Kids program

You can tell a lot about a man from the style of his mustache.

There’s the businessman: well trimmed, with not a whisker out of place and usually accompanied by a briefcase. Or the mountain man: thick and rugged enough to keep the upper lip warm but not too bushy that woodland creatures mistake it for a nest. Of course, there’s always the classic handlebar, the pencil, the chevron and even the toothbrush. But now there’s a whole new word to describe these facial bristles: charitable.

The Safe Kids South Carolina program, a division of the Children’s Trust of South Carolina, will kick start its “Mustaches for Kids” fundraiser on Thursday at Columbia’s own Tin Roof in the Vista. The four weeklong event will directly benefit Safe Kids, a program that provides hands-on education and training for families on child safety procedures like seat belts, bike helmets and fire safety all over the state.

But if you’re planning to participate, be prepared to grow it all.

If you’re wondering exactly how facial hair is going to raise money for an important cause, “Mustaches for Kids” is going to work exactly how it sounds. On Thursday, prospective “growers” will be invited to register at the Tin Roof for a small fee of $50 ($25 if you bring your Carolina Card). Each participant is required to start their hairy journey with a cleanly shaven mug, shedding any whiskers at home or on-site at the event kickoff. Thus, the growing season begins, with the help of a few local sponsors as well as several student-run organizations right here on campus.

“Without the dedicated help of students and student organizations at USC, we would not be able to have this event,” said Safe Kids S.C. State Coordinator Heidi Vaughn. “The giving spirit at Carolina is overwhelmingly evident and makes me proud to be a Gamecock [alumna].”

Over the next four weeks, growers will shave their faces (minus the mustache) at least once per week while snapping up donations from their ‘stache supporters. Growers will also attend two “checkpoints” on Jan. 26 and Feb. 2 to track their progress and bond with fellow growers over stubble itch and coworker/family/friend mocking.

Wild and outlandish mustaches are not only allowed, they’re highly encouraged, with the competition winner being crowned for the “Sweetest ‘Stache” on Feb. 9 at the Tin Roof.

One of the only beauty pageants without a swimsuit (bikinis would detract from the ‘stache), The ‘Stache Bash showcases the growers’ hard work through a variety of talent and evening wear events, capped off with a few poetic odes to the mustache written by the participants themselves.

The bash will also honor growers, along with the family and friends who have stuck by them, with an evening full of live music, food and facial hair. Growers with the worst mustaches and the whiskers with the most donations will also take home titles — everyone’s a winner, but the biggest champion is the Safe Kids program.

“Mustaches for Kids” has already racked up a few registered growers, including a few USC students who are eagerly anticipating the open growing season.

“A man without a mustache,” said USC student-grower Adam Harms, “is like a pizza without cheese.”

For more information on the fundraiser or to get involved, visit the Safe Kids South Carolina website at www.scchildren.org/programs/8/mustachesforkids/.