Farming talent: Music Farm brings bigger bands to Columbia

Columbia’s music scene has long been divided between small, intimate venues, like New Brookland Tavern, and stadium venues, such as the Colonial Life Arena.

The city has been missing a moderately sized music venue — until now.

Charleston-based Music Farm Productions, has expanded to open a branch here in the “Famously Hot” city.

In a partnership with the Tin Roof, Music Farm will be celebrating its grand opening in the Vista Sept. 5.

The first Music Farm location has been a music scene staple since it opened in 1991. Trae Judy of Music Farm Productions credited the venue’s success to the diversity of the shows, which targets every demographic of music fans.

“It’s flowed with the times,” Judy said. “We target anyone who likes live music, really.”

The company’s successful roots in Charleston gave them the idea to expand and open another venue in Columbia.

Although it’s walking distance from USC, Music Farm is targeting more than just the college crowd. John Griffin, general manager of the Tin Roof and Music Farm of Columbia, explained that this venue is something Columbia desperately needs.

“It’s a place where we want everyone — from USC students, to my mom, to soccer moms — to come and be comfortable,” Griffin said. “I think Columbia is a mid-size market missing a mid-size venue. It’s in a good niche for what it is.”

While other venues in the area hold around 50 people and are preferable for local, up-coming bands at an inexpensive price, Music Farm’s capacity is around 1,200, which will attract bigger names to the area. Shows already booked for the fall include Washed Out, O.A.R. and Corey Smith.

The building has an extensive history, having served as a mechanics garage, warehouse and movie set. Work is underway to finish its transformation into a music venue — a walk up beer patio sits outside the entrance, and there’s a full service bar inside.

Even with the bar, Music Farm’s label as a “concert venue” will allow everyone 16 years and older into events.

And when bands aren’t taking the stage, Music Farm will serve as a multi-use rental space available for a variety of events.

“It’s a different experience — it’s very industrial, gritty, with a cool feel to it,” Griffin said. “But it will be clean.”

The grand opening of Music Farm is Friday, Sept. 5, featuring The Blue Dogs, from Hootie and the Blowfish’s Mark Bryan and his band, The Occasional Milkshake, and The Archetypes.

Tickets for all of upcoming events are available on www.musicfarm.com.