NBC’s new musical proves ‘Smash’ hit

Steven Spielberg drama plays up ‘Glee’ concept with adult, all-star cast

If you’ve watched any NBC programming in the past six months, you’ve no doubt been bombarded with ads for “Smash,” the network’s new musical drama. But did the premiere live up to the hype?

With a cast including a blockbuster executive producer (Steven Spielberg), an Emmy winner (Debra Messing), an Academy Award winner (Anjelica Huston), an “American Idol” runner-up (Katharine McPhee) and a slew of Broadway powerhouses, the talent is certainly in place for this show to be a success — as long as the multiple story lines keep their momentum and the singing continues to step up its game.

NBC has marketed “Smash” almost as a “Glee” for grown-ups, and it just might work. Since the show premiered after the singing competition “The Voice” (following Fox’s model when the “Glee” pilot premiered after “American Idol” in 2009), the target audience was already tuned in, and it’s likely that Broadway aficionados had a hard time changing the channel.

The plot begins as many honored American musicals do: with an audition. McPhee’s character, Karen, is an aspiring actress with little professional experience on her resume, but a passion for performing and a very supportive boyfriend. After being rejected in the opening scene, it’s obvious that this will be one of the last times Karen is ignored at an audition.

We are then introduced to Julia (Messing) and Tom (played by Christian Borle from Broadway’s “Legally Blonde: The Musical”), a music-writing duo who plan on taking a break but are urged by new assistant Ellis (Jaime Cepero) to start writing a Marilyn Monroe musical.

Julia and her husband (played by Broadway’s Brian D’Arcy James) are in the process of adopting a child, so he isn’t exactly happy about his wife’s latest project and long work hours. “Smash” writers better be planning a musical number for James, or otherwise they’d be wasting a fine vocal talent.

Huston plays a producer going through a nasty public divorce who gets behind the musical after a rehearsal video is leaked on YouTube.

Hopefully Huston will be seen more in future episodes, because it’s unclear where her character fits into the main story line.

Ivy Lynn (played by Megan Hilty, best known for Broadway roles in “Wicked” and “9 to 5: The Musical”) has begun her New York theater career with ensemble roles in successful shows, but is sick of being stuck in the background.

Her brunette locks and nontraditional voice make her a rare choice for the part of Marilyn, but Karen somehow snags a callback and is one of the lucky ladies vying for the role. She’ll have to beat out Ivy for the part, though.

Every episode of “Smash” will feature a new number from the Marilyn musical. The first episode gave the audience “National Pastime,” a baseball number filled with clever sexual innuendo, attractive male dancers and Hilty belting her heart out.

The choreography was a bit oversexed, and the puns got tired quickly, but the singing was spot-on.

The episode closed with “Let Me Be Your Star” as Karen and Ivy primped for their callbacks. The lyrics oozed cheese, but the conviction of the performers made up for it. The audience was left with uncertainty about which actress to root for and will likely tune in to see how all the drama plays out.

“Smash” is a risk for NBC, but one it should be applauded for taking. Let’s hope the network keeps the applause coming with more show-stopping songs and a compelling plot.