New year holds plenty of new TV entertainment

"You, Me and the Apocalypse" is a bold, adrenaline-fueled, hour-long comedic drama about the last days of mankind. When the news is announced that a comet is on an unavoidable collision course with Earth, a hilarious chain of events is set in motion as an eclectic group of seemingly unconnected characters begin to intersect in unexpected ways.

Last year was a year of spectacular cinema but came up particularly short in the quality of new television shows. So here’s a list of five highly anticipated new programs that will hopefully make up for last year’s missteps.

“You, Me and the Apocalypse” (NBC) Jan. 28 

From the title alone, “You, Me and the Apocalypse” certainly sounds like the next big comedic achievement for NBC. Featuring Jenna Fischer from “The Office” and Rob Lowe from “Parks and Recreation," this absurd series follows a group of unrelated individuals navigating their last few days before an apocalypse is said to occur. 

“11.22.63” (Hulu) Feb. 15 

Combining the creative powers of both J.J. Abrams and Stephen King, “11.22.63” showcases the talented James Franco as an ordinary English teacher who travels back in time to stop the assassination of former President John F. Kennedy.

“Vinyl” (HBO) Feb. 14 

Produced by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger, “Vinyl” is a drama series based in 1970s New York. It centers on the president of a record label company who is trying to save his business during a time of musical rebirth as disco, hip-hop and punk are on the rise.

“Fuller House” (Netflix) Feb. 26

Sure to be a guilty pleasure for many Netflix subscribers, “Fuller House” continues the misadventures of the Tanner crew. As a sequel, it features many of the original cast members and has Carly Rae Jepsen performing the iconic theme song “Everywhere You Look."

“Atlanta” (FX) TBA 

Whether you like to think of Donald Glover as Childish Gambino or that one guy from “Community," Glover is coming back better than ever. Written and produced by Glover himself, “Atlanta” has two cousins teaming up in order to dominate the Atlanta rap scene. There has been a lot of buzz surrounding this show, considering that covering controversial topics in a comedic light is one of Glover’s specialities.

So what will you be watching?