'Shame' shocks with disturbing, provocative plot

Character-driven film intrigues with tale of sex addiction

In today's society, the NC-17 rating is rarely given, basically because material is often toned down to the R-rating to make for a better chance at the box office. It's also rare for a movie to contain so much sex while not being remotely sexy.

Another rare aspect is the idea of looking at sex as a method of fulfilling a self-destructive urge, rather than a way of expressing emotions. This is the main concept of "Shame," a devastating and possibly one of the most thought-provoking films of 2011 that explores sexuality as an equivalent of self-destruction. So if you're expecting to see a piece of erotic entertainment, think again, as "Shame" is more of a turn-off than a turn-on.

Fassbender ("X-Men: First Class") plays Brandon Sullivan, a seemingly-normal New York citizen with an upscale apartment, a high-paying job and a lavish nightlife. But Brandon has a dark secret: He has an insatiable compulsion for sex. He tries to satisfy his constant lust by masturbating at his workplace, surfing through internet porn, interacting with webcam strippers on his laptop and paying call girls to have sex with him. But no matter what he does, he can't satisfy his unquenchable thirst for orgasms.

Brandon's undying need for sex prevents him from having any emotional attachment, even with his dependent, emotionally-damaged sister, Sissy (Carey Mulligan). Sissy is as overtly needy as Brandon is self-sufficient. She wants to help Brandon, but the closer she tries to get, the more dismissive Brandon becomes.

When she moves in with Brandon, it becomes apparent she is unwelcome as her presence would interfere with Brandon's high-class life of hookers and one-night stands. The longer she sticks around, the more we get the sense that Brandon's increasing, unrestrained lust is a result of Brandon and Sissy's disturbing childhood.

"We're not bad people," Sissy says over an answering machine while Brandon is satisfying his lustful desire. "We just come from a bad place."

"Shame," given its NC-17 rating, contains some very graphic sex scenes that aren't intended to be gratuitous or erotic. This is a movie that captures the concept of how non-stop sex without emotion, though a fantasy for many, can be a nightmare for people who are trapped within this reality. Brandon is a character hell-bent on self-destruction; he believes that he can fill the emptiness with a series of non-emotional encounters.

Controversial artist-turned-auteur director Steve McQueen doesn't rely heavily on dialogue as this movie is about what is not said rather than what is. He doesn't spell out Brandon's family tragedies from his past, nor does he have Brandon openly talk about his relentless sexual urges. Because of this, McQueen creates a unique pattern that requires patience from his audience.

The camera work from cinematographer, Sean Bobbitt, projects us into Manhattan, filled with dimly lit nightclubs and bleak offices to complement the mood of the film. Cuts are very minimal and the camera often stays on Brandon through long shots and moving shots, such as the scene where Brandon is jogging, for the purpose of keeping us invested in Brandon's compulsions.

"Shame" is a character-driven film as we stay focused on the character of Brandon, whom Fassbender wholeheartedly plays with absolute fearlessness. Fassbender, who rose to fame with his collaboration with McQueen in "Hunger" (2008), doesn't act with his words, but rather with his face, eyes and body as we see a tortured soul on both the outside and the inside.

Mulligan gives an equally brilliant performance as Brandon's broken, helpless sister who wants to help her brother, but keeps getting pushed away. Her character gives us a spellbinding nightclub rendition of "New York, New York" that acts as a distressing plea for help.

Yes, "Shame" does contain some very disturbing material and isn't easy to watch; but then again, this isn't a movie for people expecting a pleasant, tidy ending. This is a grim, intriguing story about addiction without redemption that makes us feel plunged into the second circle of Dante's hell.

With great performances and such a provocative premise, "Shame" is likely to be an experience audiences never forget.