Students opt for mo-peds as cheaper way to travel across campus

Scooter riders save on gas, parking expenses

Some students have found a more maneuverable alternative to scoot around campus, driving motorized scooters and mo-peds to class and adding a European flair to USC.
Chris Mason, a third-year criminal justice student, said he used to own a car but switched to a mo-ped save money on gas.

“My friends say, ‘At least you are saving the earth,’ and I’m like, ‘Yep, because in three weeks I’ve filled it up only three times,’” Mason said. “This holds a gallon and cost me $3.60 to fill up.”

In South Carolina, the vehicles are considered mo-peds if the engine is 50 cubic centimeters but a scooter if it’s more than 50 ccs.

A motorcycle license is required to operate a scooter, however; only a mo-ped operator’s license is required to drive a mo-ped in South Carolina. This license can be obtained if someone does not have a driver’s license and is at least 14 years old.

Students like the affordability of scooters, which range between $750 to $850, said Billy Campbell, a recent USC graduate and owner of Hawg Scooters on Rosewood Drive. He added that driving scooters alleviates parking woes.

“When I went to USC, parking was pretty crazy,” Campbell said . “I was averaging about $200 worth of parking tickets each semester, so I started this business to cater to Carolina students.”

Campbell said that negative stereotypes about those who use mo-peds are evaporating after observing such exponential growth in scooter sales around the dawn of fall semester — grossing $43,000 in August alone.

“It used to be, ‘Oh, he’s got a DUI, he’s got a DUI and he’s got a DUI,’ but mo-peds get a lot worse rep than they should because people who have DUIs often are the ones who get in wrecks,” Campbell said.

Safety may be a concern for some students, but Mason said operating a mo-ped requires caution.

“You become aware of things around you and just have to think one step ahead of drivers and watch out for them because they don’t see you,” Mason said.

Campbell said students should not worry about the reliability of scooters.

“They usually break down for dumb things,” Campbell said. “That’s the beauty of it because no part costs more than $50.”

Students risk their scooters being stolen if they don’t lock them up.

“People are just going around and putting them in the back of minivans,” Campbell said.

USC Police Capt. Eric Grabski also confirmed that mo-ped thefts occur on campus.

“South Carolina is the perfect place for a mo-ped,” Mason said. “In the next few months, people will be envious. They will see people riding around with just a T-shirt on. Even in the winter it is so nice.”