‘The Artist’ tells talkie tale in silence

Actors bring subtle emotion to rare style

In today’s world of CGI, sound effects and IMAX 3-D, silent films have been long-outdated. So the idea of making a silent film in today’s modern society doesn’t seem like a great idea, especially since it won’t appeal to the average moviegoer.

But it has happened. Director Michel Hazanavicius has turned back the clock and presented a charming piece of real movie enchantment for today’s “bigger and louder is better” audience.

“The Artist” stars French actor and comedian Jean Dujardin as George Valentin, the biggest name in silent film. He is a proud, charismatic and theatrical man who has more power than the Hollywood producers and often lets his celebrity go to his head.

One day, Valentin meets an aspiring young woman, Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo), a would-be starlet who gains attention after taking a photo with Valentin. She gets her first big break into cinema as an extra in one of Valentin’s films, creating a romantic chance for Valentin and Miller.

The movie then turns into a silent version of “Singin’ in the Rain” as the latest thing in the film world — the advent of the talkies — threatens Valentin’s career.

The head of Valentin’s studio, Al Zimmer (John Goodman), tries to convince Valentin that talkies are the future, but Valentin refuses to have his voice heard on screen. Because of this, Valentin’s career hits rock bottom, while Miller embraces the future and becomes the biggest star in Hollywood.

In the hands of Hazanavicius, “The Artist” pays keen detail to the silent movie era. Everything in this movie (the lighting, the set location, the camera work, the editing) works to give that silent movie feel. Hazanavicius also gives us a screenplay so detailed that it makes the lack of both sound and dialogue completely irrelevant.

With the absence of dialogue, music is helps complement the mood during both the melodramatic and more lightweight scenes. Composer Ludovic Bource gives “The Artist” a very compelling score that more than accomplishes this, despite a very confusing entry of the love theme from “Vertigo” (1958).

The acting in “The Artist” is superb across the board, in a way that reminisces about performances from 80 years ago. With silent films, there comes the risk of overacting more dramatic scenes as well as not conveying more subtle emotions well. However, both Dujardin and Bejo, who have worked with Hazanavicius before, are marvelous as they emote the usual expressions of original silent stars.

Valentin and Miller are both compelling characters that we want to root for as they find each other on their separate paths in the future of cinema. The movie’s sense of romanticism and melodrama with these characters’ career turns easily fascinates the audience. Miller strives to help Valentin get back on his feet as both an act of devotion and appreciation for Valentin’s help with her big break, giving their attraction a virtuous quality.

The supporting cast mostly consists of American actors. John Goodman is outstanding as the stern studio head who quickly embraces the talkies. James Cromwell gives a delightful performance as Valentin’s devoted butler. Even Uggie, Valentin’s dog is a scene-stealer in this film.

Critics have said that what makes “The Artist” one of the best films of 2011 is how it presents itself as a wonderful piece of nostalgia toward a beloved, outdated age of media history. The same has been said about “Hugo” and “Midnight in Paris,” two of “The Artist’s” competition in the Oscar race. But “The Artist” is much more than a piece of nostalgia; it’s also a loving embrace of the possibilities of the present and the future of cinema.

The only harmless downside of “The Artist” is its unrealistic look at the downfall of the silent film. The movie depicts the transition from silent to talkie as rather simple in its two-year span; whereas in reality, it was much more complicated. But then again, this movie is more about the tribute and the public’s changing taste.

“The Artist” may not appeal to the taste of the modern-day moviegoer, but if given the chance, the movie will no doubt prove delightful to anyone who sees it.