USC student, former Sigma Alpha Epsilon member pronounced dead

'Possibility of narcotics' suspected in Zachary Robinson's death, according to incident report

A USC student and former Sigma Alpha Epsilon member died early Saturday morning.

Zachary Robinson, a third-year civil engineering student from Greenville, SC, went into cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at Richland Memorial Hospital at 1:20 a.m.

The cause of death has not yet been determined and is pending a toxicology report from the Richland County coroner’s office.

Friends told police that Robinson returned to his house at 117 South Pickens St. after midnight, looking intoxicated and “possibly under the influence of a narcotic,” according to a report provided by Columbia Police Department Monday.

The report said Robinson went into his room, and when his friends checked on him about 10 minutes later, he was lying unconscious on his bed. When his friends tried to wake him up, Robinson vomited, and they then carried him to a car and drove him to the hospital, the report said.

They arrived at 1:14 a.m. Saturday; hospital staff declared that Robinson had already entered cardiac arrest, and six minutes later, he was pronounced dead, the report said.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity’s USC chapter expressed condolences to Robinson’s family.

“The thoughts and prayers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon are going out to Zack Robinson and his family,” said Wes Van Duser, president of the fraternity’s USC chapter. “During his time from Fall 2009 to Spring 2010 as a member, he became a dear friend to many of us and his presence will be greatly missed.”

Robinson was an all-state lacrosse player and an all-region football player for Greenville High School and was a captain of both teams during his time there. Bates Huffman, Robinson’s high school friend, freshman-year Columbia Hall roommate and Sigma Alpha Epsilon pledge brother, called Robinson “extremely friendly.”

“Everyone loved Zack,” said Huffman, a third-year business student. “He was smart and witty and would talk to anybody. Everybody liked Zack when they met him.”

USC President Harris Pastides released a statement Monday night, speaking to the tragedy of the loss to the USC community, especially in the wake of a car wreck that killed two students, one former student and one other person on Jan. 18.

“Earlier today, I telephoned Zack’s family to extend our sympathy and to offer support in any way we might,” Pastides said. “I’m saddened to lose another bright spirit from the Carolina family and I ask that we all do what we can to ensure the safety and well-being of each member of our community.”

The Robinson family will hold a wake from 1:30 to 2:45 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church in Greenville today, followed by a memorial service at 3 p.m., according to an obituary printed Monday in the Greenville News.

Members of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, as well as former football and lacrosse teammates from Greenville High School will serve as pallbearers, according to the obituary.