Gilmore, Allen improve NFL Draft stock

Defensive backs cut down 40 time, show fluidity in position drills

When cornerback Stephon Gilmore signed with South Carolina, the Gamecocks had finished the prior season at a 7-6 mark that culminated with a 31-10 loss to Iowa in the Outback Bowl.

In Gilmore’s three years, USC has ascended to national significance, as it played for the SEC Championship in 2010 and won a school-record 11 games in the 2011–12 season. Because of that, and some other factors, Gilmore felt it was time for him to move on, choosing to forgo his senior season and declare for the NFL Draft.

“I did all I could do for the university,” Gilmore said. “I practiced hard, I played hard and I recruited when I could. I think I gave my all to the University of South Carolina.”

Gilmore has now given his all to raising his draft stock, as some of his NFL Combine times were so good that he didn’t feel the need to participate in some drills at USC’s Pro Timing Day. At the combine in Indianapolis, Gilmore had the third-fastest 40-yard dash time of defensive backs, running a 4.4, so he opted not to run the 40 at Pro Day. His broad jump at Indianapolis was a solid mark of 10 feet 3 inches. Though Gilmore is confident he’s a first-round corner, he said he’ll “just cross my fingers and hope to be drafted in the first round.”

For Pro Day, Gilmore wanted to show that he had fluid hips and can come out of his breaks well, so he only participated in secondary drills. While Gilmore was able to just go off most of his combine numbers, defensive back Antonio Allen wanted to improve his measurables after his strong senior season. Allen played spur linebacker for South Carolina, so scouts wanted to see Allen catch the deep ball, as he participated in drills with the secondary. He also cut a tenth of a second off his 40-yard dash time to get himself at an unofficial 4.55.

“I heard I had tight hips, so they wanted to see me get my hips more open,” Allen said.

Part of the reason for Allen’s improved numbers is that he felt more comfortable at Williams-Brice Stadium, where he was joined by current Gamecocks, other teammates hoping to be drafted and former players, some of whom are currently in the NFL or formerly play professionally. Gilmore credited the family atmosphere at Pro Day to the better leadership the program has seen over the past several years. The crowd on the field almost outnumbered the crowd in the stands, but Allen was surprised to see fans at all, as he thought Pro Days are usually closed to the public.

For Gilmore, fans weren’t necessarily supportive of his decision to enter the NFL Draft, as next year’s team would have been stronger with him on the field than without him. But after Gilmore’s performance in both the NFL Combine and Pro Day, more fans are coming to the realization that it was a good decision for him. Gilmore has visits scheduled with 16 teams in the coming weeks.

“People are going to have their opinions, but I know what I can do,” Gilmore said. “I made that decision. I think I did well from then, and I think I’m going to do well at the next level.”

After spring practice Thursday, USC coach Steve Spurrier was excited for all of the players who participated in the Pro Day, as it was one of the largest group of NFL scouts that USC had at the event in Spurrier’s seven seasons. He said in talking to the scouts, the Gamecocks could have three first-round draft picks in Gilmore, wide receiver Alshon Jeffery and defensive lineman Melvin Ingram.

For both Allen and Gilmore, playing in the NFL has been something they’ve dreamt about for most of their lives, so this time leading up to it could decide where they’re chosen and the size of their contract.

“Hopefully it’s a lot of zeroes,” Allen said.