Oysters, art mix at museum

Contemporaries host outdoor block party

Wednesday evening was a night of good food, great beer and even better conversation for the Columbia Museum of Art's Contemporaries.

The art museum's young professional affiliate brings together those in their mid-20s and early 30s to share their common interest in art. Dues are paid yearly, which helps procure art for the museum along with other necessities, such as the chandelier in the museum's lobby. Members enjoy events like oyster roasts, the Black and White Ball, wine tastings, Arts & Draughts and awards ceremonies each year. Along with these events, Contemporaries are offered special tours of the museum after closing hours and different seminars on painting, collecting and other artistic interests. Director Shigeharu Kobayashi said these events are put together not only to provide fun for members, but also to show that "art can be enjoyable and not stuffy," as some may perceive.

At 5:30 p.m., Kobayashi kicked off the fifth annual oyster roast at Boyd Plaza in front of the museum. The weather remained uncharacteristically warm with a summer breeze — atypical for a March evening. Whisky Tango Revue, a local alternative country band, provided live music while members and nonmembers of the Contemporaries started to file in. The band played original catchy tunes as well as covers of popular songs, like Outfield's "Your Love." The music had a smooth, mellow feel, which, mixed with the smell of brine and beer in the air, gave the event a beachy vibe.

An eclectic mix of people of all ages attended this event — some dressed in shorts and T-shirts, while others showed up in full business attire. It was a time for college students, professionals and local art lovers to talk and enjoy each other's company. People were soon standing shoulder to shoulder, gathered around four tables, oyster knives in hand, awaiting the first pile of oysters to hit the table.

After the first drop of oysters, the search was on to find a spot for those who did not arrive early. People squeezed into the tiniest of spots just to get a few oysters. No one seemed bothered by the lack of personal space, though. In fact, everyone appeared to know everyone else, creating a friendly, fun and relaxed atmosphere.

The event was free to Contemporaries members and cost $10 for nonmembers. The price included all-you-can-eat steamed oysters and bottomless beer. This roast was an appreciation event for the Contemporaries members. The oysters were provided by Columbia's Oyster Bar, which showcased its own "Mother Shucker's Cocktail Sauce." The event was also sponsored by Mosquito Squad and WXRY.

Overall, the event was a success. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, swaying to the evening's sound track of friendly chatter and alternative country tunes. After nearly two hours, the guests seemed satisfied with their fill of mollusks, and the parade of steamed oysters slowed down. The guests began to slowly leave, humming Whisky Tango Revue songs and basking in the unseasonable weather that was more than perfect for this event.