In Brief: 4/20/16

Columbia resident killed in three-car collision

The driver killed in a three-car accident on Interstate 77 Tuesday was found to not be wearing a seat belt by South Carolina Highway Patrol, The State reports. The driver was ejected from his SUV and later died of his injuries in a local hospital. He is believed to have lost control of his vehicle causing him to strike the side of another car that then hit a third car. The other two drivers were treated for injuries at Palmetto Health Richland, and the accident is still under investigation.

Columbia Museum of Art wins prestigious award

The Columbia Museum of Art was named one of 10 recipients of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service on Tuesday, The State reports. Its community involvement with charitable organizations such as St. Lawrence Place and Prosperity Project won it the award. It is one of five museums to win and the only art museum to take the prize in 2016. The museum will receive the award in June at a ceremony in Washington, D.C. The Richland Library was also named a finalist for the same award, but did not win.

School employ accused of stealing computer equipment worth over $4K

An Orangeburg County employee has been charged with grand larceny in connection with the theft of computer equipment from a local school, WIS reports. Matthew William Brunson, 25, is accused of stealing more than $4,500 in computers and equipment from the Brookdale School and attempting to resell the stolen goods. Brunson, who was a custodian at the Orangeburg Consolidated School District Five school, has since been fired and is facing a $5,000 bond. Some of the equipment has been recovered.