Shangela speaks out with sequins

‘RuPaul’ drag queen hosts Birdcage, lends diva to greater cause

Dressed in a sequined, pink spaghetti strap minidress and done up with a Beyonce-esque wig, dramatic silver eye shadow, larger-than-life lashes and dark pink lips, Shangela looked every bit the diva she portrays on stage and on Seasons 2 and 3 of “RuPaul’s Drag Race.”

The Paris, Texas native, who touts herself as “The Debutantess of the South” definitely felt at home during her visit to South Carolina, especially when it came to enjoying the food.

“I went to Yesterday’s today and had a chicken-fried steak, smothered in cream gravy with a side of corn and mashed potatoes. And, they gave me garlic corn bread, and I asked for the corn bread and the rolls,” Shangela said. “I am eating up the South.”

Although she is recognized for her Shangela character, the former reality contestant hasn’t been a queen for very long.

“I’ve been performing in drag for about three years,” she said. “Prior to that, I was working in PR and still doing some theater things.”

Shangela began her drag career by accident. She choreographed a drag routine to Beyonce’s “Single Ladies” in 2009 and ended up taking the stage after one performer backed out at the last minute.

After the performance, the club’s promoter offered Shangela a paid solo performance gig, and she began to pursue drag as a career.

Shangela does her own makeup, and perfecting her stage look takes time.

“It takes me about two hours to get ready from the moment I turn on the shower and start shaving off all the extra,” she said.

Collaboration is key when it comes to Shangela’s wardrobe.

“I have such great friends that are designers and come up with really cool costume ideas. Honey, I can’t sew for nothing,” she said.

Shangela draws fashion inspiration from Beyonce’s style (“It’s classic, it’s beautiful”), Halle Berry and Zoe Saldana (“She turns the party for me”), and although her stage looks lean more toward leotards than red carpet looks, she claims to be a big fan of Hollywood glamour.

“I love Oscar fashion. I am such a gown girl,” she said.

Shangela is a strong activist in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. She has spoken out for HIV/AIDS awareness, volunteered at homeless shelters and even filmed an “It Gets Better” video discouraging teen suicide.

The entertainer encourages people who don’t understand drag to come to a show and see what it’s all about.

“People who don’t know about drag or may not be even interested in it, I always say, ‘Open your mind, baby,’ and you’ll never know what you’ll fall in love with,” she said.

Shangela has a active Twitter presence and spends free moments interacting with her fans.

“I hope to give them as much joy, excitement, laughter and support as they give me back,” she said. “I can’t answer everyone, but I try. I have to sleep, too, but I do my best.”

Shangela still keeps in touch with RuPaul and several other contestants from “Drag Race.” She and Ru recently filmed some sketches for E!’s “The Soup” and thesouptv.com. Shangela calls her mentor “the queen of all queens” and said she is like a mama to former contestants.

Although she is no longer on “Drag Race,” Shangela has a lot of new prospects on the horizon.

The star will launch a four-city comedy tour, titled “Shangela is Halleloo-sing It,” this summer and also has a few music projects in the works. Shangela also filmed an episode of “The Mentalist,” which she said will probably air in April.

While Shangela may be portrayed as an over-the-top TV personality, she is committed to being a positive role model for gay teens and people who feel different.

“I never give up. I’m working my rear end off to make sure I’m giving ... people who’ve ever had a dream someone to look up to,” Shangela said.

Follow Shangela on Twitter @itsSHANGELA to keep up with the drag queen’s latest projects.