USC’s campus is ‘bicycle friendly,’ study says

University first in SEC to gain rating

USC is "bicycle friendly," according to the League of American Bicyclists, becoming the first SEC school to earn the distinction. 

The League of American Bicyclists use national bicycle experts as well as local reviewers on USC's bike advisory committee to evaluate applications for the award. The local committee is composed of students, faculty and staff from Sustainable Carolina, Outdoor Recreation, Healthy Carolina, Law Enforcement and Safety and Vehicle Management and Parking Services.

Schools were judged in five categories, according to the League's website, which it has dubbed the "five E's": engineering, education, encouragement, enforcement and evaluation and planning.

Together, the categories, respectively, are used to judge applicants on what they've constructed to promote cycling on campus, whether they teach students and staff about bike safety, how much they promote cycling, how bikers and law enforcement interact and what programs schools have implemented or planned for the future.

In that regard, USC plans to increase the number of bicycle lanes and promote awareness of educational opportunities and programs, such as the Abandoned Bike Project and Travel Lightly Day, according to Katie Coley, the director of Outdoor Recreation.

Coley said that the abandoned bike project is a way to "re-purpose" bicycles that have been abandoned on campus. Parking Services first tries to locate the bike's owner, and, if they're unsuccessful, the bicycle is repaired and given a new owner, a student or faculty member who is chosen after applying for one online.

"It's a first-come, first-serve basis, and all you do is pay for the parts that the bike needs for repair and Outdoor Rec actually includes a free bike tag and free front and back LED safe lights, so it's a pretty sweet little deal," Coley said.

Coley said that the collective efforts of the group helped push the university toward earning the distinction.

"The great thing about the committee is that we've got so many people involved in it," Coley said. "We talk about so many different things that everyone is able to give their input and help get this award."

Jessica Johnston, the director of Healthy Carolina, said that USC's bicycle-friendly campus is crucial to achieving her organization's goal of healthier living.

"By promoting routine physical activity through cycling, we are improving the health and well-being of our campus," she said. "This award is confirmation of the university's investment in making the healthy choice the simple choice for our community."