In our opinion: Administrators inspire with support for LGBT

The final days of the spring semester are filled with moments of happiness and relief for USC students. The stress of exams, research presentations and thesis defenses finally give way to the relaxation of summer — and, for most of us, a sense of pride in our time spent on this campus. Though academic achievement forms a major part of that pride, it is only our community’s commitment to acceptance and equality that makes USC not just a school, but a home. There are many ways this commitment is expressed, but none more strongly than today’s release of USC’s first official “It Gets Better” video.

The “It Gets Better” project has seen thousands of video contributions, but what makes USC’s submission so special is the direct, open support of both student leaders and administrators. President Harris Pastides, Vice President of Student Affairs Dennis Pruitt and other leaders of the Carolina community all make an appearance and share inspiring words of dedication to and respect for the inclusion of all students — no matter their sexual orientation or gender identity. Members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning community face unimaginable difficulties throughout their lives, and it is the solemn vow of every student to provide a safe environment for these individuals. This video is both a reminder and a renewal of this vow, one we hope every student will take to heart.

This video should not be the end of our efforts, but the beginning of a new engagement aimed at making this campus a true bastion of equality. At USC, it does — and will continue to — get better. Even as the academic year ends, never forget that.