‘Love is a Four Letter Word’ stays sweet

Songster’s fourth studio release preserves expected laid-back sound in genre infusion

Summer came early in Columbia this year, and the king of laid-back, feel-good acoustic pop’s newest album is the perfect soundtrack for warm weather and mellow afternoons.

“Love is a Four Letter Word,” Jason Mraz’s fourth full-length studio album, officially hits stores today, but the singer released the entire track list for free live streaming on soundcloud.com last week. It’s been four years since “We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.” was released, but the “I’m Yours” singer stepped up to the plate with the same swagger and has put out another disc that will surely make the ladies swoon.

Mraz opens the album with “The Freedom Song,” which features funky brass, sassy reggae backup singers and happy lyrics like: “If you can feel the joy / you should let yourself sing.”

The singer lets listeners know up front that he’s back with the same stuff they love and, even though it’s been a while, the music hasn’t changed too much.

“Living in the Moment” starts out with a carefree whistle over a constant, simple guitar strum and light drum beat. Mraz’s smooth voice slides up and down the scale as he croons refreshing, peaceful lines like, “Wherever I’m going / I’m already home.”

“The Woman I Love” has a country vibe but doesn’t stray from Mraz’s typical style. In light of the singer/songwriter’s recent break up with fiancee Tristan Prettyman, it’s hard for listeners not to wonder who this track is about. On the track, Mraz sings about a woman who sometimes gets on his nerves, but says, “I’m going to love you like the woman I love.”

“I Won’t Give Up” definitely follows the Mraz Top-40 hit formula (and it’s no wonder that it was chosen to be the album’s lead single), but the track also has some twangy tones. Backup singers channel a variety of genres, from Keith Urban-esque riffs to Southern Baptist gospel praises. Mraz shows off his range with rich, belted notes and keeps it positive with lyrics like: “I’m giving you all my love / I’m still looking up.”

“5/6” is arguably the most original track on “Love is a Four Letter Word.” The song opens with Mraz singing, “Are you dancing with your partner or are you pushing them around?” as the music echoes a danceable tune written in a jazzy compound time signature. This one features scat singing, a fan favorite utilized on past hits like “I’m Yours” and “You and I Both.”

On “Everything is Sound,” listeners are reminded of the whimsical Mraz that earned his place in the spotlight with fun tunes like “Curbside Prophet” and “Geek in the Pink.” Piano, synth, a simple, catchy “ha la la la la leh luh” chorus and almost-growling vocal intensity on some notes make this song a surefire hit. If all that wasn’t enough, Mraz takes away all the sparkle and effects at the end and closes the track with a lovely raw acoustic rendition of the chorus.

“93 Million Miles” is an all-American hit-the-road song that hints at Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel and James Taylor. Mraz soars into his falsetto range, and his emotional depth makes listeners feel like he wrote this one just for them. Another album standout is the sweet, throwback duet “Be Honest.” Inara George shares the mic with Mraz as the pair trill over the quirky sounds of a vibraphone. The album closes with “The World As I See It,” a lyrically beautiful track that describes the best things in life. Mraz sings “It’s not hard for me to love you” and fans know it’s true. While the album is more slow-paced and chill than radio-friendly pop, Mraz is a very gifted musician and writer. It’s clear that he’s poured his heart into this record and took his time writing it in order to put out what he thought was his best work.

Catch Mraz on tour with special guest Christina Perri this summer. The singer will play Aaron’s Amphitheater at Lakewood in Atlanta on Aug. 18 and Charlotte’s Verizon Wireless Amphitheater on Aug. 21. For more dates, visit jasonmraz.com.