Tunnel of Awareness highlights shocking reality

Project features hard truths of discrimination

Of the nation’s 25 worst public schools, 11 are in South Carolina, approximately 60 percent of rapes go unreported and these are just a couple of the alarming statistics that are shown in the Tunnel of Awareness, a graduate student project aided by several university student organizations.

“The goal of The Tunnel of Awareness is to get a reaction from students as well as to raise awareness about different issues,” said Matt Lindenberg, a second-year higher education and student affairs graduate student.

The tunnel is currently set up in the Capstone Ballroom and exposes students to the difficult truths of discrimination and oppression.

Each room in the tunnel is devoted to a specific diversity issue. Topics range from poverty to hazing to different forms of slavery. Exhibits show the severity of these issues through videos, statistics, real-life stories and even firsthand accounts from USC students. Accounts from college students across the nation — such as the story of Lauren, a nursing student whose grades suffered after she had to take a part-time job to pay her student loans — showed that poverty doesn’t only affect people in Third World countries.

“It was a really interesting experience,” Jessica Lyles, first-year exercise science major, said. “It helped change my opinions on many serious issues.”

This is the second year that The Tunnel of Awareness has been held, and the program is expected to continue in the fall so that University 101 classes can participate. Last year about 200 students went through the tunnel. This year more are expected.

“We have contacted groups from Columbia College to come and tour the tunnel, and Greek Life is expected to increase participation as well,” Lindenberg said.

At the end of the tour students are asked to write their opinions of the tunnel on a poster that states “Be the Light at the End of the Tunnel.”

“The best thing about being part of the Tunnel of Awareness is seeing the students at the end that have been influenced by the program,” said Marcy LaBossiere, a second-year social justice and diversity education graduate student.