Garcia continuing career in Canada

Former Gamecock QB signs 3-year deal with Montreal Alouettes

Garcia signed with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League last Wednesday, which the team announced on their Facebook page.

Garcia worked out at the team's mini-camp in May after he was not selected in April's NFL Draft.

The Lutz, Fla., native had a checkered career at USC. He finished his Gamecock career in third place on the all-time lists for passing touchdowns, pass attempts and pass completions. He also became just the third quarterback in school history to throw for over 7,500 yards in a career. But his accomplishments were tarnished by off-field problems, including being suspended five times before being released from the program in October 2011.

Garcia is signed for a three-year deal with the Alouettes and is currently the fourth quarterback on the Alouettes' roster. Montreal currently has Josh Neiswander from Angelo State, Adrian McPherson from Florida State and starter Anthony Calvillo from Utah State all listed in front of Garcia on the depth chart. At age 24, Garcia is the youngest of the Alouettes' quarterbacks.

Garcia is the seventh former Gamecock currently playing in the CFL. Former USC cornerback Fred Bennett and offensive lineman Na'Shan Goddard are both members of the Calgary Stampeders, former running back Cory Boyd and linebacker Brandon Issac are Toronto Argonauts, former center Justin Sorensen plays for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and former cornerback Carlos Thomas is on the roster for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

The Alouettes began their season on Sunday with a 38-10 loss to the Calgary Stampeders. Garcia was on the injured list for the game — He injured two fingers flashing a peace sign while deboarding a bus, according to the Montreal Gazette. Montreal's regular season will conclude on Nov. 3.