Simpson's Cinema: 'Dark Knight' tragedy

Movie theater shooting casts shadow over film

Over the last few days, everybody has been talking about "The Dark Knight Rises," but not about the movie.

At a midnight showing in Aurora, Colo., movie fans and Batman fans alike expressed their commitment and enthusiasm for what they love, forming that fun atmosphere created by a gathering of people with a shared interest. It was all leading up to that special moment when the lights go out and that shared sense of enthusiasm transcends into silent excitement.

This is why it's so heartbreaking to see that a space filled with joy and enthusiasm could easily be ruptured by the actions of a single deranged individual.

The killer of 12 movie fans has been identified as 24-year-old John Holmes, a medical student who reports said dyed his hair red as if trying to imitate the Joker and used a gas canister and gunfire to wreak havoc on the unsuspecting crowd.

So will blame be placed on the movie industry? Will this massacre incite a debate about the violence in movies like "The Dark Knight Rises"? I sincerely hope not. But if there is one thing that history has taught us, it's that human nature involves pointing fingers.

But I don't care about any of that. What I do care about is why this individual felt the need to ruin a night of excitement and enthusiasm for over 100 people who wished to express their love of entertainment by attending a midnight screening?

There have been tragedies involving the movie industry in the past, from John Hinckley attempting to assassinate President Ronald Reagan in Hinckley's deranged pursuit of actress Jodie Foster to Luke Helder staging a series of bombings across the U.S. based on what he saw in the movie "Fight Club." But these crimes can't be compared to the tragedy that struck America Friday morning.

The movie theater is, as Christopher Nolan put it, an "innocent and hopeful place," a second home where people can go to escape the horrors of the world we live in today. This individual invaded that second home and opened fire upon them, shattering the sanctity of the theater.

Because of the actions of this one individual, a dark shadow will forever loom over the success of "The Dark Knight Rises."

When I went to the theater Saturday afternoon to purchase a ticket for an IMAX showing, I was surprised to learn that tickets for the day were sold out. So I purchased a ticket for the next day and saw it with a full house. After the movie, the entire audience applauded and my heart was lifted.

I was relieved to see that the actions of one disturbed individual haven't dampened the spirit of the average movie-goer. "The Dark Knight Rises" is a film that should be enjoyed. So I say to the movie fan in everybody reading this, continue to laugh out loud when you think something on screen is funny, continue to move to the edge of your seat when something thrilling happens, continue to scream in shock and excitement when something on screen scares you and continue to applaud when you love what you see.

My heart and my sincerest sympathies go out to all the families and movie-lovers alike that were affected by this devastating tragedy. It is my greatest hope that people will continue to find joy and excitement within the movie theater and movies will continue to be the safe haven we crave.