USC student in custody following Senate Street shooting

Columbia Police Department officers monitor the streets at night.

USC student Zachery Williams is in Columbia Police Department (CPD) custody after a fatal shooting on Senate Street Sunday morning. 

Williams, a first-year student, is in custody for charges of homicide, armed robbery and possessing a weapon during a violent crime, according to a CPD press release. According to a tweet from CPD, Williams turned himself in. Another suspect, Xavier Glover, is in custody and is charged with homicide and armed robbery.

Wesley Brown, 26, was found shot dead at the 1700 block of Senate Street, near the McMaster School of Visual Art and Design, on Sunday morning. According to CPD, investigators believe Williams and Glover encountered Brown that morning, then Williams allegedly robbed and shot Brown before driving away with Glover.

CPD Public Information Officer Jennifer Timmons said CPD could not release specific information as "it wouldn’t be appropriate and could jeopardize the integrity of the investigation." 

USC spokesperson Jeff Stensland did not comment because the investigation is ongoing but confirmed that Williams is a student in the College of Arts and Sciences and resides off-campus.

USCPD said Williams "should be considered armed and dangerous" and should not be approached.

"Williams may be driving a white or gray 2002 Honda CRV with South Carolina tag LLA-715," the press release said.

A Carolina Alert has not been sent out to students. Stensland said those are only “sent when there’s a reason to believe there is an immediate threat to campus.” 

An "immediate threat" to campus is defined as "events that require our community to take immediate action to keep themselves safe," according to Stensland. Examples of an "immediate threat" include an active shooter and dangerous weather.  

Anyone with information can call Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC or submit a tip online at www.midlandscrimestoppers.com. Tips can also be submitted through the P3 Tips app.

Updated Oct. 8 at 11:33 a.m.

This is a developing story. Check back later for updates.