Country, rock dominate local concert calendar

Tin Roof, Colonial Life Arena attract national acts this fall

Need a break from homework and studying or looking for a way to kick back on the weekend? You don't have to travel to Charlotte or Atlanta to hit up a hot concert. Check out these acts that are stopping in Columbia this fall.

Dierks Bentley at Tin Roof
Tuesday, Aug. 21 at 7 p.m.
Pre-sale tickets are available online for $20

Tin Roof has been a concert hot spot for several years, with local and regional talent hitting the stage every Friday and Saturday night and drawing nationally recognized acts like Rick Springfield and Luke Bryan, who performed for a sold-out crowd last fall. Dierks Bentley, who has performed at the Grand Ole Opry and the White House, will be bringing his country music stylings to the downtown venue for an outdoor concert on Tuesday. Tin Roof's outdoor concerts are usually pretty packed, so get your tickets now to guarantee your spot in the lot.

Eric Church with Justin Moore and Kip Moore at Colonial Life Arena
Friday, Nov. 30

Arguably the largest concert venue in Columbia, the Colonial Life Arena has brought big-name stars like Taylor Swift, Usher, Zac Brown Band, Drake and Red Hot Chili Peppers to local audiences. It is also the home of Gamecock basketball and attracts other touring entertainment, too, with past acts like the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, professional bull riding, Cirque du Soleil and several Disney On Ice tours. Next up on the arena's bill? Country star Eric Church, famous for hits like "Guys Like Me," "Love Your Love the Most," "Drink in My Hand" and "Springsteen," is bringing his Blood, Sweat and Beers tour to Columbia in November. Justin Moore and Kip Moore will be joining Church on the fall leg of the tour. Ticket sale date and prices have yet to be determined.

NEEDTOBREATHE with Parachute and Drew Holcomb at Township Auditorium
Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 7:30 p.m.
Ticket prices range from $24.50 to $29.50

The Township Auditorium is one of the oldest concert venues in Columbia. Built in 1930, the venue has hosted an array of talented performers throughout the years from Bruce Springsteen and James Brown to Daughtry and Rage Against the Machine. Seneca, S.C., natives NEEDTOBREATHE have played the venue before and the Southern rockers are coming home with a stop at Township in September. Known for tracks like "Washed by the Water," "Something Beautiful" and "Lay 'Em Down," the group has won several Dove awards from the Gospel Music Association and receive a lot of airplay on contemporary Christian radio. Alternative group Parachute and singer/songwriter Drew Holcomb will join the South Carolina rockers on tour. Tickets are on sale now through Ticketmaster or in person at the Township box office at 1703 Taylor St.

Pretty Lights with Eliot Lipp at Township Auditorium
Tuesday, Nov. 9 at 9 p.m.
All tickets are $32.50

Electronic act Pretty Lights (real name Derek Vincent Smith) played at Township in 2011 and is returning to the Midlands this fall on the Illumination tour. Pretty Lights rose to fame on the festival circuit, most notably playing the 2010's Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. Brooklyn-based electronic artist Eliot Lipp, will open for Pretty Lights on the tour. Tickets are on sale now through Ticketmaster or in person at the Township box office at 1703 Taylor St.

2012 Pepsi Grandstand at the South Carolina State Fair featuring Thompson Square with Colt Ford, Hot Chelle Rae with Allstar Weekend, O.A.R., Love Fellowship Choir featuring Hezekiah Walker, Boyz II Men, Newsboys with Building 429, Doobie Brothers, Jake Owen with Eli Young Band
Oct. 10 to 21
Ticket prices range from $15 to $25 (admission to Love Fellowship Choir is free with fair gate admission)

For two weeks each October, South Carolina residents flock to Columbia to stuff themselves with cotton candy and elephant ears, go for a ride on Crazy Mouse and the Ferris wheel and take in some of the best entertainment found in the city all year. With past performances from the Roots, Darius Rucker and the Avett Brothers, the Pepsi Grandstand at the South Carolina State Fair has something for all music tastes. This year will feature country acts Thompson Square and Eli Young Band, teen pop/rock favorites Hot Chelle Rae and Allstar Weekend, Christian and gospel shows from Love Fellowship Choir and Newsboys, classic rock jam band Doobie Brothers and alternative rock from O.A.R. Tickets are available online now at scstatefair.org. Online purchases include fair gate admission.