Seniors say goodbye to Gamecock fans

Just like every season must end, so too must every career. This past year the South Carolina men’s basketball team was lucky enough to have three phenomenal seniors who have been integral in the development of this program. The day that these three stepped onto campus together freshman year, they saw a program in shambles, coming off a disaster of a season with only two wins in conference play. But along with coach Frank Martin, who too began his tenure here in 2012, these seniors have transformed a program that before was all but laughed at in the world of college basketball.

On the night of their final game in Colonial Life Arena minutes after their last alma mater,  the three seniors were asked what message they would like to leave for the Gamecock fans that had seen the seniors to this point. Through swelled eyes, choked up voices and the obvious pain it caused them to talk about what was now the end of their Gamecock careers, Michael Carrera, Laimonas Chatkevicius and Mindaugas Kacinas had this to say to the fans that had supported them for the past few years:

“I just want to thank them for everything they have done; for allowing me and all the seniors to be a part of a great program. We know there have been ups and downs but no matter what we have fight through it, and thank you for the support," All-SEC First Team forward Carrera said. "It’s not done, the program will keep going. Frank is still here and there’s great players still growing. I hope they keep supporting the team and I know there’s going to be great years coming up.”

“I really appreciate [the fans]. They not only have been there, especially the first couple years, but they continued to fill up the stands as we built up the program. I hope for continued program-building progress. These stands will continue to fill up more and more with students and all of the fans. A couple times when we sold out the arena it was a great atmosphere, and I wish it was more often and I really hope that as the program continues to build that it is going to happen more often. I really appreciate all the fans and supporters,” forward Chatkevicius said.

“I’m proud of them for supporting us, coming to basically every game, especially my senior year," forward Kacinas said. "I love them and if they are in Europe just hit me up, I will take care of you!”

From The Daily Gamecock, and surely the South Carolina fans who have watched these three mature and grow along with the basketball program as a whole, we wish you the best of luck in the future and thank you for the four great years you have given us.