USC rolls out with Gamecock Gateway

Bridge program offers first-year students a second chance

A new partnership between USC and Midlands Technical College is opening more doors into the university for first-time college students.

This fall, 165 students will be part of the first class of Gamecock Gateway, a program that allows students who applied to and were initially rejected from the university to live in on-campus housing at the Roost while shuttling to the Airport campus at Midlands Tech for classes. After they earn 30 credit hours with a 2.25 GPA or higher, they will be eligible to transfer to USC.

For those students who, according to Gateway Coordinator for USC Drew Newton, “fell just barely below admission,” the partnership will give them a second chance at a Carolina experience.

According to Newton, the main goal of the invitation-only program was to provide access to South Carolina’s flagship university to more in-state students.

“We wanted to ensure that every qualified South Carolina resident has access to a USC degree,” he said. “This program brings in students who otherwise would not have been admitted to the university and gives them personalized support at Midlands Technical College while giving them access to all the resources of a large research university.”

The Gamecock Gateway program is the newest of many collaborative efforts between USC and Midlands Tech, though the residential aspect of it is a new step for already-existent bridge programs. A similar program exists between Clemson and Tri-County Technical College, though students in the Clemson Bridge don’t stay on campus, but are hosted in a nearby student apartment complex.

Midlands Tech Vice President for Student Affairs Sandi Oliver said many students previously asked why there wasn’t a similar program between USC and Midlands Tech. She said that demand plus the desire to “support ... state accountability efforts and performance outcomes” were some of the key precipitants to the program.

Besides living on campus, students are offered a variety of resources at USC, including access to the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center and Blatt P.E. Center, intramural sports, the Student Success Center and clubs and organizations. They won’t receive student tickets to football, basketball or baseball; be allowed to hold office in a student organization; join a social fraternity or sorority or participate on intercollegiate athletic teams.

At Midlands Tech, students will be afforded access to all general resources, including the Academic Success Center, “Fast Track” refresher courses, counseling and career services and supplemental instruction. They are also able to join and lead student organizations at Midlands Tech.

“It is a big opportunity for them, and we’ll have smaller class sizes and counseling, academic and otherwise, that will help them be successful,” Midlands Tech President Marshall White said.

Because the program offers “the best of both colleges,” according to Oliver, program leaders expect a smooth transition and successful time at Carolina.

“We think the Gateway students will benefit because they’ll be motivated and know that they can graduate as Gamecocks,” Pastides said. “They can start and feel like they’re on campus, but they can get the attention that Midlands Tech is able to provide to their students.”

Incoming Gateway student William Burnette said the slightly different path into Carolina didn’t discourage him once he was given the chance.

“My whole family has gone to the University of South Carolina; Carolina’s home for us, so it was an automatic decision right when the letter was received to follow in the legacy,” he said.

He’s already been in Newton’s office planning Gamecock Gateway intramural teams. He said he sees the Gateway program as a second chance and plans to major in business.

“I’m just as ecstatic as if I was going in as a freshman,” he said.