All but 5 Senate seats filled

SG plans for Freshman Council, Carolina Convoy

Read More

Student Government's frequently sparse Senate has only five open seats as of its meeting Wednesday night, according to Student Body Vice President Chase Mizzell. Mizzell said the seats will "probably be full," since interest has abounded after interest meetings and events like the Student Organization Fair on Greene Street Wednesday afternoon.

Student Body President Kenny Tracy added that Freshman Council, the 35-member entry-level committee that serves as the freshman class's voice in SG, has already received 50 applications. He and Mizzell anticipate that number will rise to as many as 200, based on positive responses of a majority of students polled at summer and fall orientations.

Carolina Convoy: A trip down to Gainesville, Fla. next month to watch South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier and his Gamecocks face Florida will cost students $95 if they register for SG's Carolina Convoy. The cost will include a ticket to the game, the bus ride down and back and a T-shirt. Tracy and Student Body Treasurer Coy Gibson said a less expensive bus deal combined with SG funding has made the cost cheaper than in years past.

Since the game is during fall break, SG is waiting to see how many of the first 50 spots sell before booking a second bus and more tickets. Tracy said that's not outside the realm of possibility.
"Florida's a big enough game and it's in the Swamp, which I think is one of the best stadiums to see a game, so I think there'll be enough interest," Tracy said.

Past presidents council: Tracy also said USC President Harris Pastides has reached out to him with the idea of creating a "prior presidents council," made up of former student body presidents and Tracy, who would advise Pastides on a variety of topics. The committee is still a ways off, Tracy said, as only he and Tommy Preston, who served as USC's student body president from 2006 to 2007, have been approached about the idea.

"Pretty much, [Pastides] wants to get all these students who have represented students in the past and have the university's best interest in mind together in a room," Tracy said.