Epley, Siles Luna new faces for Gamecocks

Women’s tennis undergoing changes with new head coach, crops of players this season Read More

A month ago, Ximena Siles Luna left the neighborhood of San Miguel in Lima, Peru, a bustling national capital with a population of more than 7 million. With the help of her father, she moved to Columbia for a chance to complete her education while continuing to play tennis.

Travel was nothing new to Siles Luna. For three years, she competed all over the world in the International Tennis Federation’s Junior Circuit, winning her first doubles title in El Salvador in 2009, her first singles title in Guatemala also in 2009 and making one final tournament appearance in Bolivia before relocating to the U.S.

Although her parents never played tennis, Siles Luna said her 10-year-old brother has also picked up the sport. The freshman is in touch with her family every day, either by phone or Skype.

But despite the distance and the challenges of living in a new country and not using her native language, Siles Luna said becoming a Gamecock was the best choice she could have made.

“It was a difficult decision,” Siles Luna said. “I made that decision last year. I was playing a few tournaments professionally, and I was looking for something else — to study. I decided to come here. I think it was my best option, to come play for USC.”

Siles Luna has visited the U.S. before, but this is the first time she has stayed for an extended time.

“Other times I was here for a month or a week,” Siles Luna said. “Every year I used to come here. This is the first time that I’ve spent a lot of time here.”

The women’s team at USC currently has eight players, and six of them come from outside of the U.S. Siles Luna said the mix of players is a reminder of the time she spent competing around the world.

She joined the program just as Kevin Epley took over as the coach. Epley has also traveled extensively in recent years as the coach for WTA professional Megan Moulton-Levy and her doubles partner Lindsay Lee-Waters.

Between 2003 and 2008, he led William and Mary to NCAA tournament appearances in each of his five seasons as the school’s coach. Epley said he looks forward to taking over a USC program with a strong foundation but that he will bring some changes to the team.

“I have a different personality,” Epley said. “We’re going to do things differently. But the foundation that is here has been incredible. I’ve enjoyed coaching the girls that the previous coaching staff brought in ... It’s up to us to build on that foundation.”

Epley, who was hired June 11, said he has had little time to focus on recruiting but that the team may try to add one or two more players before the spring season if they are a good fit for the program.

South Carolina played its first tournament under Epley last weekend, competing at the UVA Fall Classic. While the Gamecocks combined for a 6-2 record in the final day of the tournament, Epley said he is focused on ways for the team to improve rather than statistics.

“I have a hard time looking at results,” Epley said. “My mind was completely on where we were and where we need to be and how we’re going to get there. The results were fine. But honestly, there’s very little focus in my mind about the wins and losses.”

Epley’s philosophy already shows in Siles Luna, who went 4-0 in the tournament but is focused on USC’s next competition.

“I was really excited to play my first tournament,” Siles Luna said. “I was nervous for my first match. I think I did well ... but next week is another tournament. Hopefully it’s going to be good.”

The team’s four remaining fall tournaments will give Epley a chance to learn each player’s style and assess her strengths. One major change he hopes to bring to the program is to make it developmental in nature.

“By developmental program, I mean that (for) a player that has a desire to be either a pro or wants to develop to a level where they’re an All-American at the collegiate level, we would provide the means by which they could get there,” Epley said. “It’s not just words ... We’ll put in the time to develop each person’s game and really try to maximize the amount of growth they have during their time here.”

Siles Luna said she and her teammates are doing their best to prepare for the high level of tennis they will face in the spring.

“We are trying to work very hard for the spring season,” she said. “It’s going to be tough for everybody. But [my teammates and I] are very committed to the college. We’re training very hard to give our best in the spring.”

Life off the court has its own challenges. Siles Luna has not had the opportunity to travel because of school, but she said she has enjoyed the college town atmosphere in Columbia, especially that it is so much calmer and quieter than her hometown.

The freshman is considering a major in engineering, but she is still undecided. Her biggest difficulty with classes has been the language barrier.

“Really not too much,” she said when asked how much English she has taken. ”It’s not very good, my English. Now it is tough for me to speak. But I’m improving.”

But as she adjusts to living thousands of miles from Lima, the new Gamecock said she looks forward to feeling more comfortable with a new home.

“It’s difficult because of the language,” Siles Luna said. “But I think [my experience at USC is] very good. After a few months, it will be fine.”