Midfielders lead offensive attack for Gamecocks

Anderson, Kivinen, Troyer take advantage of chemistry on field for men’s soccer Read More

Through the first five games of the men’s soccer season, the only two goals the Gamecocks scored came from midfielders Stephen Anderson and Niklas Kivinen.

A trio of sophomores has started at midfield in all of USC’s games, bringing varying levels of experience from their freshman campaigns.

But so far this season, Braeden Troyer, Kivinen and Anderson have become a force for South Carolina, taking advantage of their experience playing together last year.

“Our unity is one of our biggest strengths,” Anderson said. “We know each other pretty well, and that makes it easy on us.”

Troyer started all 19 of USC’s games last season. Kivinen played in 16 games, starting eight, while Anderson played six contests without a start. Anderson said he has enjoyed his additional playing time and hopes to help the team win the Conference-USA regular season championship.

“It’s been exciting (to have a bigger role),” Anderson said. “Anything that can help the team. I just want to contribute to the team as much as I can and win games. Our next goal is just [winning] the conference.”

Anderson said the midfielders play a big part in helping the Gamecocks hold possession and avoid turnovers.

“One of our team goals is to keep the ball and keep possession a lot,” Anderson said. “Without the midfield being a unified unit, we can’t really do that.”

Troyer added that they help solidify the team on both sides of the ball.

“We’re kind of the core,” Troyer said. “We’re offense and defense. We have to focus on both ends and make sure we’re covering the whole field.”

Troyer is a Columbia native and said home games always give him an opportunity to play in front of family and friends. He said he was looking forward to the atmosphere and familiar faces in the crowd, particularly when USC hosted Clemson.

“[The rivalry] means a lot,” Troyer said. “I’ve grown up with it, so I know how exciting and important it is. It’s always good to see my family and all my friends at the games. It always means a lot.”

Anderson, a native of Columbus, Ga., said the atmosphere at games convinced him to play soccer at USC when he was applying to college.

“On my visit, I actually went to a basketball game,” Anderson said. “I saw the atmosphere, the fans, and the whole experience was something that really stood out to me.”

For Kivinen, who hails from Mikkeli, Finland, the chance to play in the U.S. was an exciting opportunity, a change of pace from competing for a club team in his home country. He was also a member of Finland’s national U-17 and U-18 squads.

“I just wanted something different,” Kivinen said. “My friend told me about playing here in the U.S., so I was interested. I wanted to try it.”

Kivinen said there are multiple differences between playing soccer at USC and back home.

“We run a lot more here,” Kivinen said. “It’s different. We have club teams, and there could be older guys and younger guys. Here we’re all around the same age.”

The trio has one goal for the remainder of the season: to drive the team’s offense as the Gamecocks begin conference play.

“Right now, I think it’s just score goals and get results,” Troyer said. “I think with hard work and all the practices we’ve been doing, it’s going to happen. It’s just a matter of time right now.”

“Individually, I just want to try to contribute as much as I can, work hard, and I know that hard work will eventually pay off,” Anderson said.

Kivinen, who has lived in the United States for only a year, had trouble putting his individual goals for the season into words.

“Help the team,” he said, then paused.

“Do your thing,” Troyer prompted.

“Yeah,” Kivinen agreed. “Do my thing and help the team.”