USC Student robbed near Pickens bridge on campus

Two men wanted for strong-arm robbery following Thursday incident Read More

Police are looking for two men they say robbed a USC student early Thursday morning.

The student was walking near the Pickens Street Bridge around 12:10 a.m. Thursday, when two men punched him in the face and took an unknown amount of money, according to a police narrative provided by Capt. Eric Grabski, a spokesman for USC’s Division of Law Enforcement and Safety. A full incident report wasn’t available by press time.

Whether the student was on the bridge or a nearby sidewalk isn’t clear, Grabski said.

The two left on foot and are described as slim black males in their mid-20s, according to a Carolina Alert sent to students via email and text message about an hour later.

One man, with a beard, was wearing a white tank top and dark pants; the other was wearing a dark tank top and dark pants, according to the alert.

Following the incident, the men fled on foot, according to the report, and officers from the Division of Law Enforcement and Safety and the Columbia Police Department searched campus.

Grabski wasn’t sure what exactly that search entailed, but he said that in past similar cases those searches are comprehensive.

“In past cases, we’ve exhausted all means and resources,” he said. “We don’t leave any stone unturned.”

Still, by 2:10 a.m., that search was complete, according to a follow-up Carolina Alert, and police hadn’t located the suspects — or seen them on campus.

They were spotted, though, in surveillance video taken on campus, and police have released stills from those tapes to the media, in hopes that someone will recognize them.

“Somebody knows who these people are,” Grabski said, “and we’re hoping that somebody will say something.”

The case has been referred to the State Law Enforcement Division, and information about the robbery was been submitted to Crimestoppers, according to Grabski, so a cash reward will be offered for information that leads to an arrest.