Brittons of Columbia receives fresh makeover, grand re-opening

Store celebrates past, gains larger space

One of Columbia’s clothing headquarters was recently revived with fashionable remodeling to keep it as fresh as the garments on its racks.

On Thursday night, Devine Street retailer Brittons of Columbia, hosted a grand re-opening party and ribbon-cutting ceremony to officially introduce its newly expanded space to Columbia.

Brittons nearly doubled in size over the summer after M Boutique moved out to relocate to the new Cross Hill Market, set to be anchored by Whole Foods. With memorabilia of not only the store but also Columbia decorating the space, the night seemed like an appreciative look at the past with an eager glance to the future.

“Oh, that has a story behind it,” said store manager Perry Lancaster, while pointing at a program with Glamour Magazine and Brittons in the title. “Give me a few minutes and I’ll tell you the story.”

In 1966, Brittons hosted a fall fashion show in collaboration with Glamour Magazine at the Wade Hampton hotel. The models included Jimmy Engram, who gave the program to Brittons years later, Bobby McNair, the son of then-governor Robert McNair Sr., as well as Ruth Anne Collins, then Miss Columbia as well as others, six of which Lancaster was able to connect with.

“It’s great that they were able to expand into this space,” said Collins, who, with her husband, currently owns the shopping center in which Brittons is housed. “Now the space can really breathe.”

After Bobbitt Construction demolished the wall separating the two spaces, the boutique was indeed able to breathe. With more window display space, a brand new custom-made checkout counter outfitted with cabinets, as well as an expanded tuxedo rental business, the boutique comes off fully realized.

But if there’s one new feature for Brittons to boast about, it may be the dressing rooms.

“Stacy (Levinson) went to over 30 different boutiques taking pictures of dressing rooms,” Lancaster said, pulling back draped cloth to reveal a two-in-one dressing room.

With a private seating area, adjustable lighting for the back-lit mirror and overhanging light and even a fur rug, the space comes off just as posh as the rest of the store.

The new dressing room is also positioned next to a newly expanded sewing room for quick consultation with the on-site seamstress. This touch, like many others in the newly remodeled store, is aimed at convenience and shopper comfort, eliminating the need for walking across the boutique for measurements.

The store continues to carry brands like Southern Tide, Ted Baker London, Yansi Fugel and Vineyard Vines, as well as its expansive bow tie collection all at 2818 Devine St.

Brittons will be hosting Vineyard Vines on Friday from 3 p.m. until 5 p.m.